Facia Boards and Soffit fitting PVC How To Do it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am quite able to install my own facia and soffits but need some advice how to go about fitting this yourself. How are the pvc Facias fixed into place?
Is it wise to Put Facia over the existing wooden facia boards. The facia board on our house are starting to look unsightly and i have been meaning to sort them out. I had replaced the Guttering a few years ago and will be replacing this also.
I note on looking at other householders PVC Facia boards they seemed to be held in place by white buttons. Is there screws beneath these buttons and then the buttons pressed into the top of the screw or are they actually special kind of fixings. Any information or sites explaining how to go about replacing your own Facias and Soffits would be welcome.
I would rather do this myself to avoid high charges, but also on the top of that so that i know its been done properly and i am not going to get ripped off.
Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply and the link. I am going to put facia over the old wooden facia borad which is not rotten. I just need to know what am i to get to do the job. Next door have had theirs done sometime ago and th underneath is like cladding and the front facia PVC has a lip which the underneath cladding sits. I also note a strip along the wall where the cladding beneath goes to the wall.
So with the nails you state do you just tack the pvc board to the old wooden facia board.

2 people a chopsaw/handsaw / jigsaw roofing felt spare tile or 2
a ladders battery drill driver hammer
your woodwork may look fine but you have to prod and push to make shure the underlying structural timber is solid
down pipes and brackets guttering and brackets
now thats the bits you havent thought about on top off the "white"bits you will think about
plus a second ladder will be safer when you are trying to secure a 5m length

Sponsored Links
Hmm thanks for that. Yes i have four ladders and i have access to scaffolding so that is not a problem. As for tiles i have about 40 spares. As for timber you mean that joists which come from the roofing? That also is not a problem as i have spare Joists and plenty of felt to line a whole roof.
I have more or less done everything but never replaced facia boards. That is why i asked the question. I do have a chop saw and all the tools to do the job so this is not a problem. Anyway thanks for now i will doing this job in another few months and will write a full topic to everyone who wishes to undertake this job as the net holds very little on the subject a bit pi** Poor if you ask me. The job certainly don't frighten or deter me nothing has so far so i am committed to do this job. I also have plenty of help should i need it to replace what ever i have to. However the timbers appear to be ok so i think it will be just the facias Guttering, Down waste pipe.
Thanks so far!

ok hints assuming 9mm cladding
if your soffits are recessed [step at the front] you need to pad out the back so they sit flat
say your old facias are 150mm you then have the thickness off the soffit cladding plus the facia needs to clip underneath so another 9mm so thats 150 plus 18mm so 168
if your roof is sloping and around45 degrees ish you can remove the material thickness from the equation so 159mm

you need a joiner for every external corner and where you need to join the 5m lengths

you need to measure the length off all areas you can estimate the eaves and barge boards assuming 40 ish degree angle by adding 60 percent to the width
then add 10% for wastage for all lengths and go for the nearest no off length
1 nail per soffit at the back nail as near to the structural timber as you can to stop "bouncing" as you hammer the front edge is supported by the facias

you can egnore the odd few inches off wooden boards missing under the facia as long as theres no rot and timbers treated as nessisery

guttering brackets will perfectly happily screw into 9mm cladding and be fully suported by it as long as the cladding is fully supported by the structural timbers every 400/406mm ish

Check the clearance between the windows when open and the fascia board
I once had to put a job right in carlisle because the windows would only open around 6 inches lol.Needless to say it was done by a couple of guys who came knocking,probably named shamus and shadrack :LOL: .

Not only is it bad practice to put ANY upvc over the top of existing wood, but it's also rather dangerous.
The wood will continue to rot, more so, as you've covered it in plastic, you cant see what is happening behind the plastic.
Secondly, you're bringing your gutters out too far by the thickness of the new fascia you've put on top.
Leave these jobs to professionals, this is a skilled job, and needs a qualified joiner/roofline fitter to do them.

Not only is it bad practice to put ANY upvc over the top of existing wood, but it's also rather dangerous.
The wood will continue to rot, more so, as you've covered it in plastic, you cant see what is happening behind the plastic.
Secondly, you're bringing your gutters out too far by the thickness of the new fascia you've put on top.
Leave these jobs to professionals, this is a skilled job, and needs a qualified joiner/roofline fitter to do them.

Good of you to advise but this thread is 2 years old mate.

Even though the thread was 2 years old, and now nearly 3, it is still very helpful to have any additional info for people like myself who are only just viewing the question and answers. In fact that late thread was very helpful to me.

Old-RaiseThem.jpg

:mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back