Replacing rotten facia and soffits

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am going to replace my old rotted out facia and soffit board, does anyone know of a site with a detailed description on how to carry out this job ? many thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
How experienced/good at DIY are you? Replacement is a lot harder than overclad.

Is it house or bungalow?

If its got large tiles you can slide back then will make it easier. Little rosemary type tiles youll have to take bottom row/2 rows off or it'll be a beatch to do.

Sponsored Links
I did a DIY soffit and fascia job of about 80 linear metres on a roof transplant project last year and found www.nationalplastics.co.uk very helpful with good prices and reliable delivery. They've recently redesigned their website and the installation guides are down at the bottom of the pages along the footer. Worth a read

Should have mentioned, I used the 18mm product on my job and it was really good to work with. I used my sliding mitre saw to cut it with really clean results. The rafter legs were a bit random on my SIP kit and so I bridged between each leg with a top and bottom treated timber so my fixings in the fascia were 500mm apart and not governed by the position of the rafter legs. Also the gutter clips could be neatly spaced as the screws went into the bridging timber and perpendicular to the grain rather then into the end grain on the legs. I used stainless screws and plastic caps for the fascia which allowed me to fine adjust as I did most of it on my own and a 5 metre length is not the easiest to handle and get exactly right, first time.

Used their ventilated soffits and F trims on the wall, the latter fixed with self tapping Multimonti pan head T drive fixings (and a washer) which are quick and easy for a single person working, especially if you have two cordless guns. I learned, early on, to only tighten the F trim enough for it to be straight otherwise it follows the contours of the wall and buckles out of shape. Any small discrepancies with the wall were sealed afterward before the render was painted.

The 18mm stuff and the vented soffits does give you a really nice crisp finish tho' and I'm well pleased with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back