Soffits & facia

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am in the process of having my soffits and facias replaced. I've had a quick look at the facias they are using and its seems to be 10mm facia board and the soffits are 9mm hollow. Is this sufficient, they have removed all of the old wood facia and soffits and don't appear to be using any further backing board.

Sponsored Links
The hollow soffits are OK, but that thin fascia should be on a timber backing.

Only the thicker (20mm?) fascia is suitable for fitting on its own

Minimum thickness for replacement is 16mm. I don't mean to worry you but there is no way I would have 10mm on my house fitted directly to the rafters. :eek:

Don't forget the fascia board holds the weight of the first row of tiles and the gutter full of water, ice and snow.

We use 10mm for over capping

Hollow soffit is good for cladding a timber soffit as its fitted in small sections to give a continual tongue and groove effect. If there is no wood there then I assume they are putting the hollow soffit in lengthways in one whole piece.

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. It turns out they are fitting 16mm facia boards the 10mm capping board I saw is being used for the bardge boarding. I was a little concerened because I am using a Swish approved company and they are supposed to be using Swish/summitt products and i thought they may have been installing inferior products but it looks like i probably haven't got anything to worry about.

Sponsored Links
Hi I own a business doing this trade, you have no worries with the 16mm board although I use an 18mm board this is suffiecient, If they use the 10mm board for the Bargeboarding they will probably be capping it over. This causes the timber to sweat, swell and rot faster then normal. For your own piece of mind I would call the company on the off chance to ensure all you guarantees are in place and if you guarantees will cover this instance. I know it sounds drastic and dont mean to worry you, Im sure I will be fine for probably 20 years, but I would check this out for peice of mind.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back