Incompatible basin trap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new wall hanging basin that needs a trap. The underside will be visible so I wanted to have a nice chrome looking bottle trap like this:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/1-bottle-trap-chrome-plated-32mm/10004

I purchased the above trap and left it for the plumber to fit. However, the plumber has said this didn't fit so he fitted a white plastic P trap instead. He didn't mention any of this to me until after he had already fitted the plastic trap. I couldn't understand his explanation of why the chrome trap couldn't work (his English isn't great). Here is a picture of the actual basin and the trap:
basin.JPG

Both traps are 32mm. The threaded connection to the waste definitely fits as I tried that myself. I can only assume the issue is the connection to the pipe coming out of the wall.

The only other thing I can think of is that non-McAlpine traps have really bad reviews for fitment and leaks. So given this chrome McAlpine bottle trap:
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mcalpine-bottle-trap-chrome-plated-32mm/645hr

Is there any possible reason why this wouldn't work for the basin above?

If it's just a case of this particular plumber being difficult, then I don't think I can force him to fit the bottle trap if he really doesn't want to. I'll either have a go at fitting the trap myself or if it's proving to be more complicated than my limited DIY skills then I'll have to find another plumber who can do it.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Chrome trap should fit, issue may be with connecting the outlet pipework, I'm not sure if the trap will connect to the 32mm waste pipe. Usual practice would be to use a compression waste joint to connect the chrome outlet pipe to plastic waste, but that needs hiding really, otherwise defeats the object.

Sponsored Links
Ah okay, I didn't realise there were different types of fitting for the waste pipe. So if I understand correctly, the waste pipe connection can either be a screw fit or a push fit. The chrome trap I originally bought might have been screw fit on the waste pipe so that wouldn't have worked. I'll see if I can find a push fit variety for now.

However, I see what you mean about the existing waste pipe being visible and defeats the point of the nice looking bottle trap. How exactly should the waste pipe be finished such that it makes it compatible with a screw fit bottle trap?

I'm not sure this plumber is going to do this work so can this be relatively easily fixed by a plumber without having to remove the wall tile? Ideally, I'd like a nice clean look which just has the chrome bottle trap. Something that looks like this:
Silverdale-Contemporary-Basin-Bottle-Trap-Chrome-p.jpg

It's a bit more complicated than that.... Waste pipe is available in 2 different types, 'Solvent weld' and 'Push fit'. The pipe and fittings are not compatible with each other, so if you need to join the 2, you will need a Compression waste fitting. (Compression fittings use a plastic nut and washers to make the seal, same as on the outlet from the white trap the Plumber fitted.)

Given you appear to have solvent weld waste going into the wall, I would suggest you try the following. Get one of the fittings picasso has linked to above. Measure carefully how deep the socket is and cut the pipe sticking out your wall back to allow the new fitting to butt tightly up the shoulder of the fitting just visible in the wall. (It is vital you get this measurement right. Cut it too short and you will have no option but to demolish the tiles to get to a decent section of pipe in order to make another connection to sound pipework!)

Once happy apply some solvent weld adhesive and glue fitting onto the stub of pipe, allow a couple of mins for joint to fuse. Fit chrome collar to hide joint. Insert chrome pipe into socket, check length required to meet trap. Cut to size. Fit pipe, using nut and washer to make the seal. Fit Trap.

The ones I’ve fitted, I’ve had to put a compression fitting in the wall, which isn’t ideal I know, but what the customer wants they get

For what it's worth, I took the trap off the waste pipe and this is what it has. So this is using a solvent weld with a compression fitting on the trap?
trap connection.JPG

I would suggest you try the following. Get one of the fittings picasso has linked to above. Measure carefully how deep the socket is and cut the pipe sticking out your wall back to allow the new fitting to butt tightly up the shoulder of the fitting just visible in the wall. (It is vital you get this measurement right. Cut it too short and you will have no option but to demolish the tiles to get to a decent section of pipe in order to make another connection to sound pipework!) Once happy apply some solvent weld adhesive and glue fitting onto the stub of pipe, allow a couple of mins for joint to fuse. Fit chrome collar to hide joint. Insert chrome pipe into socket, check length required to meet trap. Cut to size. Fit pipe, using nut and washer to make the seal. Fit Trap.

This is a great suggestion. I wouldn't trust the current plumber to do this so I will have to make do with his work and get a more competent plumber in to do the job properly.

Thanks for all the replies. Very helpful and educational.

On a side note, is it just me or does the square cut out for the waste pipe seem sloppy? Surely cutting a round hole just big enough for the pipe would be better? This now square hole now needs to be filled in and won't look as tidy :(

What are you going to do with the chrome shroud that comes with the adaptor , throw it away ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back