increase hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Howdy.
We have been given a dishwasher and installed it on the hot water pipe in utility room. But it constantly had a trickle of water coming in. I took pipe off and cleaned it and removed some visible dirt. The trickle stopped so I assume its to do with the pressure not able to turn off the inlet.
How can I increase the pressure?
I have taken a picture of the airing cupboard as has numerous dials and knows. Wondering if the red one will increase pressure?

Sponsored Links
Don't touch that knob. It is for the heating.

And why the hell did you put the dishwasher on the hot supply?

It needs the cold water main.

Washing machine is on cold supply. When we moved in we were told to do this with a pliant es. . They are in a back room not under or near the sink. The back room has one hot and one cold supply pipe only.

Sponsored Links
Not sure if you are trying to help or not..
Obviously an order to jump and injure myself would be questioned..
But someone advising that connecting two machines to two pipes. One on cold and one on hot is not something I'm going to question as I dont know what will happen and assume it's ok and they have been doing so.... even says so in the instructions.

I like to help people help themselves.

Sometimes the lazy see that as me taking the pish.

I'm sure if you read the instructions properly things would be different

If they don't then you are destined to be knocking on the neighbour's door asking for numbers.

I imagine you refer to the line about a qualified technician? It has a standard 3 pin plug and a waste pipe and a water inlet. Even a qualified tech couldn't increase the water supply from this point. They may suggest a y connection on the cold supply. But I imagine the bloke would just connect it to the hot pipe.
Anyone else got an idea for increasing pressure?

If the pressure of the hot water in other downstairs outlets is low, then its unlikely you can increase the pressure without spending some serious money.

If its just the how feed point to the dishwasher which has low pressure, then it could be a partial blockage in the pipe or a fault in the valve. In either event I suspect you are going to need professional help.

Probably the simplest approach is to install an additional connector to the cold water and connect the dishwasher to that. There's nothing wrong with running two appliances of one feed. If there is a clash (unlikely) then don't use the appliances at the same time. You can get "Y" pieces to enable you to connect two appliances to one outlet, but they are of rubbishy quality and likely to split, giving you water everywhere.

Provided the water can be turned off and there is reasonable access to the pipe-work before the washing machine valve then it could probably be done in an hour with less than £20 worth of bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back