increasing water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone tell me if there is an easy way to increase the water pressure to the taps in my house? I have one of those combi boilers. When i turn on the hot water tap, i get a reasonable amount of hot water, not a massive amount, but reasonable. However, if anyone touches the cold water tap, it takes water away from the hot. The result is that throughout the entire house you can only have a "reasonable" amount of water shared by all the taps/baths/showers etc. Heaven help us if someone flushes the loo, no water for a month !! :)

Is there anyway to increase the water pressure? I've been told it could be bad pipework as much as lack of water pressure itself.

Olly

Sponsored Links
Opening your main stopcock fully increases the flow.

Check that :rolleyes: and then post back

Is your neighbours water pressure as poor as yours?

Pressure and flow are different.

For Pressure, ask your water supplier what you should have in your area.
For Flow, time how long it takes to fill a bucket - preferably a calibrated one, which will usually be about 9 litres, from the kitchen cold tap. (better would be to turn that tap and say a garden tap on at the same time and add their flows together)

Sponsored Links
stonneway said:
What sort of time should i be looking at ?

You can do it any time you like!!!!!

:evil: :evil: :evil: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Seriously though if its a 9 litre bucket and it takes 1 minute to fill then you are getting 9 litres per minute.

Fill it in half the time and you are getting 18 l/m etc

Bit of not to hard maths may be required

Your problem is apparently a restricted FLOW probably caused by a high resistance supply pipe.

What type of property do you live in and built when?

Whats are your neighbours flows like?

The solution is often to have an old lead pipe replaced with larger size blue polythene. Can cost about £300 upwards depending on distance and surface material.

Tony Glazier

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back