Shower Pump/hot water pressure

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a power shower and about 12 months ago replaced the pump which was not working with a new Varispeed one.

Since then no problems and my shower works fine.

About 1 week ago when I run the hot water from any tap in the house I can hear the pump starting up for no apparant reason-Why is this?

Secondly on a separate matter I've never been happy with the pressure of hot water that comes from the taps when on full e.g. when running a bath and have tried to increase this by turning anticlockwise the stopcock above my cylinder marked hot water-but this has no effect on the water pressure-why is this and what do I have to do to increase the hot water pressure?

Sponsored Links
About 1 week ago when I run the hot water from any tap in the house I can hear the pump starting up for no apparant reason-Why is this?

My pump does this. I'm guessing the hot feed to the pump is tee'd off the main hot water supply pipe? The only explanation I can come up with for this is that when you open a tap the small amount of water which is running to the pump flows backwards and into the hot supply pipe. When you close the tap this water is replaced and the flow switch activates the pump but only for a second as your shower is closed.

I guess the only way to solve would be to fit a check valve but this could restrict the flow to your pump.

Secondly on a separate matter I've never been happy with the pressure of hot water that comes from the taps when on full e.g. when running a bath and have tried to increase this by turning anticlockwise the stopcock above my cylinder marked hot water-but this has no effect on the water pressure-why is this and what do I have to do to increase the hot water pressure?

To do this either lift your F & E cistern that serves your water cylinder or go to a fully pumped hot water system, i.e. run your shower and your hot supply pipes from the pump outlet.

Hope that helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back