Pump Position

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a pump that works fine increasing the flow to my shower from the hot water tank.
As the flow to my taps is low can I reposition the pump onto the main hot water outlet from the tank to allow increased pressure to shower and taps?
Alfie

Sponsored Links
I have seen this done, the shower pump is a stand alone unit tank fed cold in one side pumped out on same side and hot water in the other with pumped out on same side. You want to plumb it in so the entire hot water system is pumped right?

I wouldn't recommend it, not sure if it could handle two running outlets at the same time, and it will pump over into the storage cistern in loft via the open vent wasting hot water. Its just not designed for that purpose.

Sponsored Links
Andy The pump is next to the hot water tank on the floor. I fitted it 5 years ago.
Plumberdan Yes the entire hot water system but I can't see how pulling Hot water from the hot water tank would make hot water flow into the storage tank in the loft.

Yes you can use a pump to supply all your hot taps/shower.

First it depends what pump your planning on using.
whole house pumps are different to shower pumps.
second fit it to a dedicated suppy keeping it seperate from your vent, or you'll draw air down the vent into the pump.

plummerDan. Yes exactly as diagram.

seco services It's the dual impeller that is at present supplying the shower.

if you use the shower pump for boosting all hot water outlets, what about the pipe that comes out of it and goes to the shower(cold) that wont have anywhere to go when you run a tap so the pump will be pumping to nothing on cold water side probably causing it to fail

seco services It's the dual impeller that is at present supplying the shower.

What model.

Whole house pumps have bypasses so when running only one supply the other side uses the bypass so no damage to pump.
Shower pumps don't have a bypass so only using say hot for a long period will damage the cold side in the end causing short life to your pump.

You will need a whole house pump to do what you want. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back