Indesit Freezer working but fridge not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I have an indesit frost free fridge/freezer BNF 144, I have set it to the Eco settings for months now, now November last year same problem occured, I had to empty the fridge and had loads of spoilt things in the freezer, I opened it all up and on opening the freezer compartment, and left it for about 2 days, it started working again.

Again, back in February, fridge stopped working again, and I took off the freezer section which blows cold air into the fridge, completely took off the fridge section exposing the thermostat in the fridge, it was left for couple of days (2 i think), and it started geting cold again, but then again, it gets too cold in the fridge and things start freezing. After altering the fridge settings a bit, then it totally stops working the next couple of days,.

Now 2 days ago, I noticed the fridge geting warm and the freezer still working fine without any problems. I have opened the freezer compartment again, and I can see ice block forming, which is happened in the 2 previous incidents as well. I have taken out the ice block, which can be see in the attached picture. Left it off for nearly 12 hours today and now I'm back from work and on switching it on, its still warm.

I have the freezer filled up with my things, and looks like if i decide to defrost it, I'm going to loose all my food.

I would like to get to the bottom of the problem as it seems to be happening every 2-3 months now. I also dont understand why ice bl0ck is forming up in the lower section of the freezer as pictured, its supposed to be a frost free fridge/freezer, so why is ice still building up, does this mean something is broken, what is this ? Can someone please help ?

Thanks in advance.

freezer section

fridge section

Sponsored Links
you have air getting into the freezer have you checked the door is shut and the door seal is not split and sealing properly.

you have air getting into the freezer have you checked the door is shut and the door seal is not split and sealing properly.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, freezer door is always closed.

Also how can i tellif the seal around hte freezer is caput ?

pull it and see if its split anywhere.bit like looking for a punture in a bike inner tube. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
pull it and see if its split anywhere.bit like looking for a punture in a bike inner tube. :LOL:

Thanks for this, but is this the cause of the fridge not working and the freezer working. also if i pullit off, how will i glue it back ?

Also, is this the definite cause of the ice block forming up.

let me explain how a fridge works in easy terms ,ice builds up on the frezzer on the pipe work at the back once ice has formed the fan blows cold air though the rear duct /channels to the fridge ,if the rear panels ie holes are blocked the air cannot reach the fridge in your case the holes are well and truly blocked due to air getting into the frezzer.inspect the seal around the freezer door just genty pull it forward slighty.every 6 monthes you should do a totall defrost switch off for 24 hrs to allow a defrost then turn back on .

let me explain how a fridge works in easy terms ,ice builds up on the frezzer on the pipe work at the back once ice has formed the fan blows cold air though the rear duct /channels to the fridge ,if the rear panels ie holes are blocked the air cannot reach the fridge in your case the holes are well and truly blocked due to air getting into the frezzer.inspect the seal around the freezer door just genty pull it forward slighty.every 6 monthes you should do a totall defrost switch off for 24 hrs to allow a defrost then turn back on .

Thanks for taking the time to explain this, I presume the rear panels that you are talking about is more like a pipe panel which travels from the freezer section up to the top section which is where the fridge is.

When you say its blocked, do you mean that physical ice block has blocked it, also I am leaving the freezer on as I have too many things in the freezer which I cannot afford to let is get spoilt. Does this mean that the blockage is still there, and is there a quick fix to getting rid of the block?

Also, the ice that I’m taking off the freezer section, is this a right thing to do, as in the past when I have taken off the ice, for some reason it starts to work after sometime.
Also, the seal around the freezer door, you mean the white rubber seal on the actual freezer door and not the one glued to the freezer body, also taking this out & cleaning it, does this mean that it will start working again or what exactly needs doing after this has been gently taken out? Will I also be able to put it back ?

Or are you referring to removing it and replacing it, where can this be bought cheaply.

yes the rear panel has vents in, in the freezer with a tube that runs up to the fridge yours is blocked with ice.you can use a hair dryer to melt ice .the seal is attached to the door all the way round it .both of the vents in your freezer is blocked with ice ,do not pull door seal off it may be glued to door some do some dont .

yes the rear panel has vents in, in the freezer with a tube that runs up to the fridge yours is blocked with ice.you can use a hair dryer to melt ice .the seal is attached to the door all the way round it .both of the vents in your freezer is blocked with ice ,do not pull door seal off it may be glued to door some do some dont .

Thanks for pointing this out to me.

Point of action: In terms of using a hair dryer to melt the ice, where will the hair dryer feed to, I'm guessing I need to blow the hair dryer from both the bottom bit in the freezer, or can I do it from the top inlet from the fridge section or is the bottom inlet from the freezer better?

Also, for the hair dryer, is that the only tool that can be used. As I switched off the freezer for about 12 hours, shoudlnt the ice blockking the inlet be melted now ?

Also, what do you want me to do with regards to the seal around the freezer section, should it be cleaned and pulled out a bit so it seals the freezer door more efficiently ? or what do i need to do here ?

only use the hair dryer on the freezer section ,where in the pic its blocked up, do not use a hair dryer in the fridge .if its been unpluged for 12 hrs its poss all melted now .after 24 hrs fridge should start to get cold ,regarding the door seal on the freezer just clean it and pull it slighty .when its shut it should be quite stiff to open .

only use the hair dryer on the freezer section ,where in the pic its blocked up, do not use a hair dryer in the fridge .if its been unpluged for 12 hrs its poss all melted now .after 24 hrs fridge should start to get cold ,regarding the door seal on the freezer just clean it and pull it slighty .when its shut it should be quite stiff to open .

Hi

Bought hair dryer, placed it in the freezer section, i can fee the hot hair blowing up to the fridge section without any problems, I really dont know what the problem is, but I doubt if there is ice block on the panel which goes up the fridge, i think its something more than that.

I can hear the fan in the freezer and yet fridge isnt cool. Any other pointers ?

Hi ... not an engineer but had the same problem.

1 empty fridge and freezer - use cool bags to keep stuff cold
2 turn appliance off
3 remove shelves and drawers
4 turn fridge setting dial to max
5 remove rear cover from inside freezer - 5 screws
6 carefully remove the next cover - clips use a flathead screwdriver to release
7 unclip the fan cable to safely move the cover out of the way
8 you should now see a fair amount of ice
9 the vent that leads up to the freezer is bottom right
10 get rid of the ice - quickest and safest way is to use a domestic steam cleaner. We have a vax, removable handle and base - have plenty of towels to hand
11 when all the ice is gone check the drain hole bottom left
12 unblock drain hole if necessary something like aerial cable can be used. Two person job and appliance needs to be accessible front and back - poke the cable through and work it backwards and forwards a few times (note: the water drains to a drip tray above the condenser, heat from this evaporates it)
13 clean and check the seals on both doors. Make sure they're not damaged
14 reassemble - remember to reconnect the fan
15 restock
16 switch back on - freezer on eco fridge at med
17 it'll take about 5 hours to get properly cold

All in all this took 1.45 hours!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back