Indesit W123 not spinning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help,

I have an Indesit W123. it does not spin during the wash cycle nor in the final spin. I have tried replacing the brushes to no avail. The motor sounds like it is trying to spin but it seems as if there is not enough power.

I gave the drum a helping hand and this seems to get it going for a while but when I stopped helping it is not capable of rotating the drum by itself.

Thanks in advance.
Jamie.

Sponsored Links
I happened upon your message whilst searching for something else, but if it helps, I had a similar symptom on a tumble dryer some time ago. The drum wouldn't turn, but could be made to start with a push. Otherwise the motor just buzzed.

Fault turned out to be a faulty phasing capacitor in the motor supply - usually a large electrolytic mounted on the chassis somewhere. An induction motor needs this to establish a phase shift in the windings to get it rotating.

I don't know the particular machine well (although my indesit is currently making expensive noises and chewing sheets - lid off tomorrow!) but I hope my suggestion is helpful.

I got a suitable cap for the tumble dryer from RS for about a fiver.

Hi Brucci,

Thanks for your reply. Pardon me for being a bit of a novice but. Where would I find the phasing capacitor in the motor supply - usually a large electrolytic mounted on the chassis somewhere? Would it have wires going to the motor?

Also where is? Do you have a link or something. I got a suitable cap for the tumble dryer from RS for about a fiver.

Thanks again. If anyone has further suggestions I gladly like to hear them.

Thanks.

images

usually attatched to the motor

Sponsored Links
induction motors do not have brushes (thats why they are induction motors) since the brushes have been changed (as mentioned by origonal poster) it pointless looking for a capacitor that isnt there.

all te w/s i saw never had a capacitor for the motor, t/d yes, wm no

i would suggest either the motor or motor control board

Jamie, yes, I think you need a new motor. Breezer, for information, some washing machines, particularly older, low spin speed models from Servis, Bendix, Zanussi, Philco etc did use induction motors but they are not very common these days. Some had 2 capacitors, one for wash and one for spin.

fido said:
Breezer, for information, some washing machines, particularly older, low spin speed models from Servis, Bendix, Zanussi, Philco etc did use induction motors but they are not very common these days. Some had 2 capacitors, one for wash and one for spin.

fair comment fido, but Jamie.Downs did say
I have tried replacing the brushes to no avail
so as i said
breezer said:
induction motors do not have brushes (thats why they are induction motors) since the brushes have been changed (as mentioned by origonal poster)

so it cant be an induction motor

but i didnt know some very old m/c had two capacitors, all the hp ones i have seen (some were older than old) never had induction motors (except the twin tub whch was an induction motor :)

Thank you very much for all your suggestions. Do you have any suggestions of where I could get a motor from?
Thanks again.

Sorry Breezer, I was not suggesting that this machine has an induction motor, just pointing out that there are such machines in use. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back