Indesit wash/dry not taking powder or conditioner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got an Indesit WDN 2196WG (1994), old I know, but perfect up until now. I've cleaned out the drawer and the gunk inside the machine but its refusing to take the powder and conditioner - pre-wash powder is fine.
Can anyone help ? Thanks

Sponsored Links
I assume it still fills with water ? If so, open the drawer about half way when it is supposed to be taking both the powder and conditioner and see which compartment (pre-wash / powder / conditioner) the water is going through to get into the machine, then let me know. Also, on this model, is the program dial on the opposite side of the machine to the powder compartment ?

Yes, it still fills with water but it's going through the prewash compartment only, even when its not on a prewash program.
The program dial is on the opposite side to the powder compartment.
Any ideas ?

Sponsored Links
These models have a spring loaded arm on the top of the soap compartment which when moved directs the inlet water to anyone of the 3 soap comps. It is moved via a linkage driven off the program dial. Hence on these models it is a long flimsy linkage and on some is not secured along its length. I have seen instances of it becoming detached at the program dial end. It can basically just fall forward so that it is not touching the program dial wheel anymore and hence doesn't get operated as the prog dial wheel goes round, so where ever the water was directed to when this happened, is where you continue to get all the water. You can just push it back onto the prog dial mechanism but unless you fit something to stop the linkage arm falling forward again, it may come off again. Taking the top off the machine exposes the linkage arm and the top of the soap comp, but the front facia around the dials and switches probably needs to come off to get access to where the linkage arm connects to the prog dial.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back