Indesit washer/dryer - something large & metal behind dr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We have an Indesit front load washer dryer and recently started hearing occasional banging/clattering during the spin cycles. The last time we used it it got so bad that the machine started jumping around and sounded like it was about to explode! I did some reading and checked out the machine as good as I could, and realised that there was something trapped *behind* the drum at about 3 o'clock as you look head on inside the drum. (there's no play in the bearings, and the concrete blocks/springs/dampers are all fine) This is *inside* the outer drum casing, but behind the metal inner drum.

Using a torch and looking through the drum holes I was able to see that the object that is grinding against the back of the drum (when turned by hand) seems to be made of metal, a flat sheet (or possibly curved, hard to tell) around 5 inches by 4 inches (ish), and perforated. Lots of holes. A machined piece.

It's obviously nothing we've left in a pocket or anything but is a part of the machine that has become loose/out of place and is catching on the rear indentations of the drum with every turn.

I've been unable to find out what this piece is. Anybody able to help me?

Sponsored Links
It's a lint catcher it comes of the bottom of the condenser at the back, remove the condenser to retrieve it.

you know? you're right! I've just looked at the back of the machine and there's a large metal part that attaches to the back of the drum right where the thing is trapped. Now I just need to find out how to take it all off. (only a small panel comes off the back, to remove it all for better access means taking off the whole case, sides and all!!)

Thanks for the info though. Just need to figure out if it's something I can get access to easy enough and do myself, or if it's too much to bother with and to pay someone to do it.

(also, if the piece is easily re-attached, or actually broken!!)

Just remove the rear panel then on the left is the condenser it's a large plastic bottle, remove the large clip round the bottom of it then remove the heater box 2 13 mm bolts then you can remove the condenser to get to the lint catcher if it's broken off dont worry about it just thow it away.

Sponsored Links
I'll try to take a photo tomorrow morning if I get the chance. Mine sounds slightly different. The back has a smallish panel that comes off (not the whole back) and what appears to be the condenser is large and metal and appears bolted on at the bottom of it (in the middle of the hole where it attaches to the outer drum)

There's not a great deal of access so I'm not sure if I'll have to remove the entire sides/back piece to get to it. But like I said I'll try to take a photo to show you... might be easier :)

Thanks for this by the way, just trying to avoid ridiculous call out fees that we can't really afford at the mo. (nor a new machine!)

actually I've just had a better look at it in some better light and it IS plastic. My apologies, it looked (and felt) metal. I'm going to try to remove it now... access is tight to get to things, but I'll let you know!

well eventually after several hours, lots of head scratching and endless cuts and scratches on my hands (and lots of swearing) I managed to get the condenser free and removed the TOTALLY mangled metal filter. No wonder the drum was banging horrendously.

I managed to remove it and will be putting it all back together tomorrow. Should be ok now... thanks so much for the help!! Always good when you can fix something yourself, get the satisfaction from that... AND save money ;)

Is there much fluff in the condenser you might wanna hose it out before you put it back save u a job in the future.

There was a fair bit yeah, i scooped out as much of it as I could. The hole that was left after I had to hacksaw off the bolt/filter I filled up with Milliput just to keep it watertight, and we've been using the machine since (at least 6 times so far) and it's working perfectly.

....and it hasn't been this quiet in AGES.

Thanks for your help, would've cost us a fortune otherwise. (gotta love the internet)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back