Indicators not cancelling themselves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all (1st post),

I'm actually posting this for advice for my neighbour who has a brand new Punto (now a few months old).

She's having real difficulty with the indicators NOT cancelling themselves after taking "gradual" corners/large-roundabouts, hence she reaches the next roundabout to go straight over but her LEFT indicator is still flashing, hence had way too many near misses with other vehicles pulling out and blasting at her :(

It's been back to the dealership on a couple of occasions and each time they take it for a test-drive they seem to be deliberately turning the steering wheel harshly, using the excuse that it will only cancel properly if turned back quickly - you can hardly do this on some corners though!

Anyone else heard of this problem on Punto's or does it sound like a simple fault on this car? It's causing her quite some driving distress and you shouldn't have to be remembering to cancel your indicators yourself every 2 minutes.

Appreciate any advice.

Regards,

Fedorov.

Sponsored Links
Without seeing the corner I can't entirely comment. But it sounds to me like the dealers are right. Indicators won't cancel under circumstances like this. Which is why most indicators don't automatically cancel after lane changes on a motorway. :idea:

Every motorbike I have ever ridden had manual cancel only, and you can't even hear clicking sounds. And it hurts more when you crash. :eek:

If it wasn't cancelling on the "tighter" turns, e.g. turning left at a junction, then there would be a problem. Get her to take you out in it on your familier roads, see if you think the indicators are being reasonable.

AdamW said:
Indicators won't cancel under circumstances like this.
Normally they are adjustable because the way I'm reading it, the right indicator is okay or is that doing it as well ? I was wondering if it's slightly off centre.

Stop relying on the indicators to cancel themselves. The driver is in charge of the car, I've been caught out at sometime or other on every vehicle I have ever driven,.......when I wasn't concentrating. Almost every vehicle has an audible clicking, bit of a problem for deaf people I know, my present one doesn't click, and I can easily leave it on. It's my fault, not the makers.

Sponsored Links
It's causing her quite some driving distress and you shouldn't have to be remembering to cancel your indicators yourself every 2 minutes.
Tell her not to, just after she has used them :!: . This is something she should do as a matter of course, even if they worked properly.

She should thank her lucky stars. I get cheesed off when indicating to turn right and then the main road takes a left hand bend before the junction and cancells my indicator.

Now, when I were a lad self cancelling indicators were a luxury. I still cancel the indicators every time I use them, but sometimes get beaten to it by the self cancelling thingy dodah.
Now you try telling that t' kids of today, and they just won't believe it :LOL:

If she can't get on with these modern electronic gadgets perhaps she should just use hand signals. Then again, she would probably get frost bite in the winter from forgetting to pull her hand back in.

It's causing her quite some driving distress and you shouldn't have to be remembering to cancel your indicators yourself every 2 minutes.
Tell her not to, just after she has used them :!: . This is something she should do as a matter of course, even if they worked properly.

She should thank her lucky stars. I get cheesed off when indicating to turn right and then the main road takes a left hand bend before the junction and cancells my indicator.

Now, when I were a lad self cancelling indicators were a luxury. I still cancel the indicators every time I use them, but sometimes get beaten to it by the self cancelling thingy dodah.
Now you try telling that t' kids of today, and they just won't believe it :LOL:

If she can't get on with these modern electronic gadgets perhaps she should just use hand signals. Then again, she would probably get frost bite in the winter from forgetting to pull her hand back in.

Has she complained yet about not having a hook for the handbag. That'll be because it has an automatic choke :LOL: .

Got an echo there Tex !!

Agree, cannot rely on auto-cancelling .... Surely there are some lights flashing somewhere on the dash ?

Highway code Page 22 : SIGNALS : 85. Cancel them after use.
The words aint just for fun !!

If she has accident due to leaving indicators on .. she could be found culpable !!

P

Got an echo there Tex !!
Damn modern technology :oops: . That never used to happen on my old typewriter. Do you think I should take my PC back to the dealer.[/quote]

Okay, I'd been planning on this anyway, but tonight I'm borrowing the car to test-drive it for myself... :)

Fedorov.

Just don't forget to cancel the indicators

You could try out the auto engine-off function to see if works correctly. There is a ultra-low fuel detector on all vehicles which is arranged to stop the engine when the fuel runs out.

oilman said:
Just don't forget to cancel the indicators

You could try out the auto engine-off function to see if works correctly. There is a ultra-low fuel detector on all vehicles which is arranged to stop the engine when the fuel runs out.

Or if you drive a vehicle with a separate reserve tank, pick up girlfriend, say "I need to get some petrol first", then girlfriend says "no time, we need to go now!", then girlfriend won't let you stop on way home cos she needs the loo, then you park it on her very steep driveway overnight and the fuel system drains back into the lower tank. Then it generally stops the engine when you are halfway off the driveway and are facing upwards on a steep hill. :mad:

Oh how fun it is to try and parallel park a heavy car with no power steering or brakes, backwards on a steep hill. :LOL:

And they never understand why it is their fault you have run out of petrol ;)

Yep. My sister failed her test cos the All Aggro she took it in did not self cancel. Ha Ha!!

Sponsored Links
Back