Induction hob and double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have brought a new 7KW induction hob and a 6.74KW double oven. I had currently have a single oven and hob. They are both connected to the cooker switch located above my worktop with 6mm2 T&E. From the switch they go to a 32 MCB in my consumer unit. Can I use this current circuit to power both of my new appliances or will I have to run a new circuit in so that I have a separate circuit for each of my appliances?

If I have to run in a new circuit what MCB rating will I need and what cable size will I need?

Also If i have to route a new cable i believe it hs to a minimum of 50mm deep into the wall or in some metal, earthed conduit. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
I have brought a new 7KW induction hob and a 6.74KW double oven. I had currently have a single oven and hob. They are both connected to the cooker switch located above my worktop with 6mm2 T&E. From the switch they go to a 32 MCB in my consumer unit. Can I use this current circuit to power both of my new appliances or will I have to run a new circuit in so that I have a separate circuit for each of my appliances?

You will need to run a separate supply for either the hob or the oven since the total load for both combined is almost 14KW that is over 60 amps.

If I have to run in a new circuit what MCB rating will I need and what cable size will I need?

This is not as simple as just selection. This is where you need a registered electrician. He/She will need to evaluate your existing installation and take measurements with appropriate test instruments.
Also If i have to route a new cable i believe it hs to a minimum of 50mm deep into the wall or in some metal, earthed conduit. Is this correct?

That is true if you have no RCD protection on the new circuit. If you include RCD protection then no.

Even though diversity calculation says that you can go up to 15kW of cooking appliances on a 32A circuit, I agree with sparkticus' recommendation of 2 separate circuits here.
Both ovens heating + 1 hob coil would demand well over 32A.

Sponsored Links
True, as above, but you're also not allowed to go deeper than a third, vertically, or a sixth, horizontally, of the way through the wall structure, so if brick then it is not possible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back