Induction hob installation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm new so please be gentle.

I am just about to start the process of changing out my kitchen and I'm after some guidance with regards to changing my existing gas hob for an induction one.

Currently I have a double oven fed by a 6mm twin and earth rated at 4.4kw, as far as I can tell, running from the consumer unit on a 32A RCD. I have the power for the ignition on the gas hob running from a switch on the wall on the normal ring main for the kitchen.

As far as I can gather I have two options

1. Spur the power for the induction hob from the switch for the cooker (running both off the 32A on the consumer unit in effect)

2. get a lower powered induction hob that can run off a 13amp plug (I have reservations about this with regards power output, is it worth it)

is there anyone who can advise me on this, power limits for the induction hob if I were to spur it, if its safe to do so?

I cant run a dedicated power supply back to the consumer unit (its full) so if thats the only option I'll just have to stick with my gas hob.

Thanks in advance.

btw a little diagram

upload_2016-1-25_13-11-58.png

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your reply.

I haven't selected a hob yet. That's part of the question really, if I were to split the power supply what would be the maximum allowed for an induction hob?

Also I have found a couple of hobs that are 13 amp. The down side of these ones seems to be that you can't have all the hobs turned up full all at once. Not a massive problem for me really. One of the plug in hobs is a Neff T40B31X2GB, I don't know if anyone has any experience using these, are they any good?

Thanks again

Last edited:
Most (but not all) induction hobs have an installer power setting to limit the maximum current drawn by the hob. That will then be shared around the 'plates' in use at any time.

The usual diversity allowance for a cooker circuit is 100% of total demand up to 10A, + 30% of the remainder.

Assuming 4.4kw for the oven, this leaves you about 13 kW after diversity for the hob.

You may find it difficult to get 2 x 6mm cables in the load terminals of the switch and need to use a cooker splitter eg
http://www.superlecdirect.com/p-prw217-scolmore-45a-easyfit-dual-appliance-outlet-plate

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back