Induction hob - Normal 13 amp plug?

Sponsored Links
What about it?

It'll be a pile of poo. Ye cannae change the laws of physics, and with as much heating ability as a single kettle has, but shared between 4 rings....

New hob, new oven, new wiring....

Just do it properly.

As you will see the rings add up to 5.4kW and 7.2 on boost.

That means that the current will be electronically distributed to limit it to 3kW at any one time.

Even so, you don't want that on a 13a plug on a ring final. Regrettably the OP should have planned his kitchen before having the cooker circuit moved. It may have been possible to share the existing circuit between the oven and the cooker,even though they are on opposite walls of the kitchen.
Now it looks like a return visit from a sparky and more £££.

To fail to plan is to plan to fail

Sponsored Links
The induction hob puts all energy into the pan and does not waste it heating room or hob although some heat will transfer down. So a hob like this
stellar-portable-induction-hob.jpg
or this
induction_hob_control_induction_ci20t.jpg
will cook food faster and with less heat into kitchen and will work with a 13A plug.
However they are just 2kW so they will not be as fast as the type used with four area hobs which can use 3.7kW. However I find the only cooking where I use the full 3.7kW is when heating up the pressure cooker until it reaches temperature and boiling water before adding food as with that amount of heat it tends to burn anything in the pan.
My mother had touch controls and they are useless. Maybe with single ring they would work better as you would not need to select ring first. One of the main advantages with the induction hob is it does not store heat in the base so turning off hob will stop a pan boiling over as quickly as lifting it off the heat. But touch controls slow up the process of switching it down so you lose that advantage.
Other than single or domino hobs you will not find anything that will work successfully on a 13A outlet. Due to her pace maker my mother had to have the induction hob removed and now uses a halogen domino hob instead which at 1.2kW and 1.8kW is really slow. It does however have knobs and is far easier to use.
My induction also has knobs and of course all the safety features you get with induction. Only yesterday found my wife had left the hob on but it had auto switched off as designed so no problem. The knobs still have the auto boil and boost functions by holding against detent clockwise or anti-clockwise so there is no reason to have touch controls I would advise to reject any hob with touch controls.
The Belling induction hob has knobs and I am sure there are more. Learn from my mother's mistake don't get one with touch controls.

Nobody had replied to it since almost three months ago.

You were the one who brought it back from the dead by writing this:
What is the implication here?
Why did you?

Does that question actually mean anything?

I didn't realise it was such a heinous crime to bump threads from 3 months ago. Rather than bothering to search for an answer I'll just create new threads in the future, there's nothing better than multiple threads asking the same tedious question over and over.

I happened to be searching for information on Induction Hobs when I came across this thread. I ask what is the implication because riveralt seems to be implying that it's socially acceptable on this forum for other members to ignore any concerns on whether or not someone's DIY thread may be notifiable work. I just wanted clarification whether this is the case or not - it doesn't really bother me that much but I always just assumed members would be lambasted if they suggested not notifying the LABC or whatever.

I happened to be searching for information on Induction Hobs when I came across this thread. I ask what is the implication because riveralt seems to be implying that it's socially acceptable on this forum for other members to ignore any concerns on whether or not someone's DIY thread may be notifiable work. I just wanted clarification whether this is the case or not - it doesn't really bother me that much but I always just assumed members would be lambasted if they suggested not notifying the LABC or whatever.
My response was in relation to the suggestion that this work is notifiable - since the op lives in Scotland it is not - a point I sometimes miss myself.

I didn't realise it was such a heinous crime to bump threads from 3 months ago. Rather than bothering to search for an answer I'll just create new threads in the future, there's nothing better than multiple threads asking the same tedious question over and over.

And that is the whole point of starting a new topic.

If you had asked a question about electrical works in the leafy tropical south then there would be different aspects to the work if you had asked about the same work to be done in West Lothian.

Its not a heinous crime, its just that the contributors have to read through (in this case) two pages of history, try and remember the context and then map it onto your spurious comment some three months later.

I'm glad you have had your question answered, but - for the life of me - I cannot discover what it is :mad:

If you feel that your question is tedious, don't ask it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back