Industrial pipe light fixture

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
IMG_1233.JPG
I am constructing an industrial water pipe ceiling light. Two queries:

1. What type of wire should I use from the light bulb socket to the main electrics?

2. What is the best way to earth the light fixture?

Thanks for all responses

Sponsored Links
Heat resistant pvc single core flex, or strip some 3 core pvc heat resistant flex.
Use lampholders with metal base and earth tags so when screwed on the fitting they will also earth the frame
They use special lampholders that accept 2 wires in and out, however hard to get in the uk, without them, theres even more wires depending on size of pipe you may struggle to get that amount of wires to the holders and will need a ceiling cup big enought to acomadate them all

image.jpg
Using 3/4 inch pipe. This was the lampholders I was planning on using as I can not find any other black lamp holders.

There more suited for "Machine prepared " cable ends, untreated flex may go in but not ideal, you could use heat resistant single core "appliance " wire, but thats not ideal either really due to its rigidity.
Also as they have no earth connection, the fitting will need earthing elsewhere possibly within the ceiling cup .

Possibly the only suitable black holders you will find in the uk are "continental holders" though as said they are designed for 1 cable in only, you will end up with over at least 13 cores at the inlet

Sponsored Links
I am not going to have six lights it will only be four. I am guessing the best thing is to buy white lamp holders and paint them black. Any place, part numbers or suggestions of where and what to buy.

There more suited for "Machine prepared " cable ends, untreated flex may go in but not ideal, you could use heat resistant single core "appliance " wire, but thats not ideal either really due to its rigidity.
Bootlace or pin crimps?

Possibly the only suitable black holders you will find in the uk are "continental holders" though as said they are designed for 1 cable in only, you will end up with over at least 13 cores at the inlet
Surely in the one which strautman is holding we are looking at two terminals for L and two for N, allowing them to be daisy chained?

screenshot_1113.jpg

Bootlace or pin crimps?

Surely in the one which strautman is holding we are looking at two terminals for L and two for N, allowing them to be daisy chained?

screenshot_1113.jpg

Yes, im sure they can be daisy chained, the reason i mentioned continental holders is there also black, have standard screw terminals, which although not desighned too, will accept two flexible cores, plus has a metal base to accept a 10mm metal thread, soldered to his piping, and internally has a screw type earth terminal which will transfer the earth connection to the pipe body.
This is a pretty standard set up on them 3 shade pool table lights you see in pubs.

I assumed hes unlikely to have access to any suitable solid lighting cable, then without as you say, ferrules or a tool its unlikely he can get his flex securely in to the holders shown, i may be wrong, some you can pre open the hole by inserting a flat screwdriver in the slot.

Did the screwdriver in the slot and it does slide straight down. Got the 3 core heat resistant flex just still stuck on the earthing.

Without seing the metal hard to say, have you the cup piece for the ceiling yet, if so post a pic.
im assuming your possibly a plumber and can solder.
A lot of that style fittings simply use an earth tag soldered in the cup out of site, though you need to ensure continuity to all metal sections ideally soldered joints.
Any heat or solder applied MUST be done prior to the wires installed and have no sharp bits internally

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electrica...hash=item2a793bc8c9:m:mcEKR-BYUk6W40b5ER5z76g

s-l225.jpg

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
These are my basic parts. Have two ubolts that goes around the rafters to the flange and bolted on.

IMG_1235.JPG
IMG_1234.JPG
IMG_1236.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back