Inflatable hot tub insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Forum, just looking for some ideas on how to insulate a circular inflatable hot tub. I will insulate under it with 200mm celotex board. This bit is relatively easy. The tricky bit is how to insulate around it.

I am thinking maybe take some rockwool and wrap the hot tub in it. The hot tub will be sunk into a raised deck so the insulation will not be visible. The only problem with this idea is that the water will splash over the edge and soak the rockwool. So my next idea to stop that problem was to encase the rockwool in some kind of waterproof wrapper that will seal all around it making it completely water tight but still able to form a snug fit to the hot tub. Then with rope, wrap up the hot tub in the clothed rockwool.

Any suggestions on how I might water tight the rockwool or other ideas on how one might insulate around the edge of the hot tub?

Much appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Forgive me for not directly answering your question but what you are trying to do around wrapping the tub in rockwool etc is mad and will not add any value to your set up or prevent heat loss to any noticeable or cost saving degree.

sorry to be a nay sayer to your plans but it’s pointless and messy. A lid for the tub is all you need.

what you are trying to do around wrapping the tub in rockwool etc is mad and will not add any value to your set up or prevent heat loss to any noticeable or cost saving degree.

sorry to be a nay sayer to your plans but it’s pointless and messy. A lid for the tub is all you need.

Forgive me for stating the obvious but if you read my post you will understand that the goal is to insulate. This means to prevent heat loss. Rockwool is used for insulation. That means it stops heat loss.

Heat will be lost upwards, downwards and to the sides. I have calculated that this hot tub will cost me £217 per month (£2604 per year) to keep on constantly, which I intend to do. I want to insulate it as best I can.

Sorry to call you out for posting rubbish, but section 7 of this website here:
https://greathomegear.com/insulating-an-inflatable-hot-tub/
Whole heartedly disagrees with you. Section 7 states:

Insulating around the hot tub
7 – Hot tub jacket around the tub
A portable spa lacks a spa cabinet built around it like a permanent hot tub. The spa cabinet is lined with foam insulation and everything inside of it is covered in spray foam. How do we make our inflatable hot tub better? We wrap it in insulation.

A DIY option is adding an insulation jacket around your hot tub. This can be foam insulation or partial foam insulation using foil or bubble material also.

You can do this with reflective foil insulation. This material has a foil layer with either a foam or bubble wrap layer underneath. Wrap your hot tub with this material. If you want to go fancy, create a cover for it so your hot tub doesn’t look like it is covered in aluminum foil. Make sure your hot tub is leak free before doing this. Water trapped between the insulation and hot tub can grow mold.

A side benefit to creating an insulating jacket is that it gives another layer of protection. It will prevent damage from scratches and punctures.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back