Decking Treatment for Hot Tub Area

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all - Apologies if this is a similar post to others but I have a specific query I need some help with. I have just finished building a decking area to stand our hot tub on. The total area is about 10' x 10' and was needed to cancel out the run off on the patio and give the tub a flat and sound base to stand on. Seeing some of the other posts on here about flaking paint etc I am now worried about what finish I should apply to the decking before putting the tub in position (scheduled for next weekend!). Whilst it wont get a lot of foot traffic I am concerned about the chlorinated water splashing about and getting the boards wet, thus don't want anything that will look patchy as soon as some water has been on it. I would ideally like something that is long lasting as well as once the tub is in and filled I wont be moving it for a while!! Yes I will retreat around the tub in due course but dont want to be doing it every few months!

It looks like deck oil is the favourite but dont know how this will react with the chlorinated warm water from the tub.

Has anyone got any experience in this matter?

Thanks in advance

Nick

Sponsored Links
Have oiled mine, though treated or not the water from the hot tub has had no effect on the decking.I prefer bromine treatment to chlorine much milder.
Should have very little water from tub as it's not designed as a play pool for kids but for adults to sit/recline in. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back