Infrared Heating to Supplement Underfloor?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last year we converted our double garage to a double height vaulted ceiling living room with underfloor heating. We've exhausted all options and the underfloor isn't sufficient to heat the room on the coldest winter days.

I'm looking at solutions ahead of this winter and am interested in Infrared Heating to provide the feeling of warmth when the rooms air temperature isn't as high as we would want it in the evenings.

I'm really not familiar with the technology, does anyone have experience with it or with the companies I'm speaking to (Herschel and Redwell)?

I'm also concerned about it's range as the room is reasonably large so am considering the portable Pipewave by Redwell, quite niche but does anyone have any experience or opinions on it?

https://redwellinfraredheating.com/products/pipewave?variant=16940650397786

An Air to Air Heat Pump has also been suggested although I haven't looked into this in much detail yet.

Sponsored Links
The problem with infrared is control, but as part of an integrated system likely it will work.

My old house had 6 x 60 watt tungsten bulbs, and room set to 18ºC they worked well, one turns lights on only when using the room.

When they were replaced with 10 x 5 watt LED it resulted in also needing a programmable room thermostat.

Using a fan assisted radiator tbe speed of temperature change was fast, but under floor heating needs to be on 24/7.

It's almost impossible that a full underfloor system is not enough to heat the room. Give the system specs. What has gone wrong?

Honestly, you'd be best off with a couple of fan heaters to warm and move the air.

Infrared is just a modern one bar fire. It will toast the side facing it, but your other side is in the cold. Just like a camp fire outside. If you want to be trendy, fit a log burner. Same problem as infrared, but the picture is worth watching. [Full disclosure, I have a log burner.]

If you have the inclination, review the heating calculations, check flow and return temperatures, add more insulation to your vaulted ceiling since that's where your heat is and eventually the bottom of the warm air will drop down to you. Alternatively, reinstate your ceiling so you have a smaller volume to heat.

Sponsored Links
Only UFH in screed needs to be 24/7, not every UFH is in screed though and as such can be timed to be used just like normal CH.
Sorry I was not considering expansion and contraction, which also means the less it is switched the better, but the time between switching on, and the room getting warm.

I know with mothers house it was an hour before the floor felt warm to the touch, and likely 4 hours before the room would get warm with UFH on its own, only real way to warm the wet room was the towel rail.

I know the problem with heat pumps is the temperature differential and the less it is the better they work, and with a maximum floor temperature of around 27ºC depending on floor surface, using UFH with heat pumps is one way to increase efficiency. Also with old peoples homes the lack of any radiator which can burn the residents must be good, and in the main they are heated 24/7.

But the problem with UFH is the reaction time, so the sun shines in a bay window, and although the heating turns off, heat is still going into the room, so it over shoots, so one has to fit special glass to stop heat coming into the room, which seems to get rid of the whole point of having bay windows or conservatories.

So UFH in the main has to be selected at the design stage of the home, it is not really suitable for most homes, mainly due to the work digging out the floor and putting in all the insulation, I know with mothers at least 9" of polystyrene was put down before the floor.

But as @Swwils says for UFH not to work, some thing is wrong with the design, in mothers case it was the room design, it had an extractor fan which caused the replacement air to be drawn from the hall, which was an area kept cool, and the UFH could not heat the cool air from the hall to the temperature required for a wet room with the amount of air being pumped outside.

Also @DIYWell makes a good point, fans move air around and any fan even if not a heater will help extract the heat from the floor and put it into the air, and like the UFH fan heaters can deliver heat without using up loads of wall space. The kick space heaters used in kitchens are a good example.

But one needs to look at the design as a whole, how efficient are the heat recovery units for example. And are they working as they should, the type using a heat exchanger built into the pipe through the walls only blow in one direction, they rely on the rooms being sealed to get the air flowing in both directions through the heat exchanger.

Heat rises, so a double height vaulted ceiling will end up being hot at top, but cool at bottom of room, the heat recovery unit if set up correctly can help bring this warm air down, the same applies to ceiling fans, which are often reversible summer and winter.

But what we are looking at is the design, I got my degree in electrical engineering not heating and ventilation, and we call them heating and ventilation "engineers" as it is a complex subject well above the level 3 training given to plumbers, electricians, etc. It is level 5 education to be called an engineer, and this knowledge is not going to be taught on a forum.

I have made errors in my own house, I considered heating, but forgot cooling, and put the thermostat in the wrong place.

With mothers house I did not want to fit the earth mat over the electric heaters, so used cheap resistive heating with built in earth braid, rather than the better quality chemical heating cables which are self regulating, this was because it was a wet room, would not need the earth mat else where, also of course do not need earth mat with a wet system, but we have no idea of the system being used.

I have seen UFH fitted with also radiators, and the heat pump had to lift the temperature high enough for the radiators, which seems to get rid of the whole idea of using UFH to start with, some types of central heating can use the near enough engineering ideas, but not UFH and heat pumps.

I have installed a lot of infrared panel sytems and I really like them, good for some medical conditions too, I have psoriasis and have installed two in my new man cave, I have noticed a great differnce , that might be the stress free and wine part though, they are great but be warned if a female gets near they will do a Karen and start screaming its not hot, they get warm , they heat the fabric of the building they dont radiate heat, best left on all the time in the winter, they dont use much electricity, very popular in Scandanavia

@Swwils I've discussed this endlessly on others forums and have mentally moved on from the cause and responsibility but briefly, Wet UFH from new Gas Boiler. Building work meets regulations to the best of my knowledge, this has been trawled through with the builder. The builder arranged for an underfloor heating fitter, I'm not convinced it was "designed" to meet the high demands of the room (vaulted ceiling, three external walls, multiple windows, french doors and skylights) but they claim pipes are as close as feasible and system functioning as expected. Separately flooring installer used chipboard and ply under karndean to heat not penetrating as well as expected either.

Simply speaking in the coldest days heat loss is too much for heat produced, no one will accept responsibility so I'm moving on to solutions!

Honestly, you'd be best off with a couple of fan heaters to warm and move the air.

Infrared is just a modern one bar fire. It will toast the side facing it, but your other side is in the cold. Just like a camp fire outside. If you want to be trendy, fit a log burner. Same problem as infrared, but the picture is worth watching. [Full disclosure, I have a log burner.]

If you have the inclination, review the heating calculations, check flow and return temperatures, add more insulation to your vaulted ceiling since that's where your heat is and eventually the bottom of the warm air will drop down to you. Alternatively, reinstate your ceiling so you have a smaller volume to heat.
We have a "fan heater" integral to our electric fireplace. There was no intention to use this to heat the room but when I do it goes straight up and I feel no benefit until the temperature of the entire room is raised. My hope with Infrared would be that even if the room temperature hasn't increased yet I'll feel the warmth from the heater directly.

I was given no heat loss calculations or specs for the underfloor so I've been through it to the best of my ability. My estimate is I'm 1000W-1500W short of output. I won't be bringing the ceiling down as the room is stunning as it is, just need to resolve the heating.

I have installed a lot of infrared panel sytems and I really like them, good for some medical conditions too, I have psoriasis and have installed two in my new man cave, I have noticed a great differnce , that might be the stress free and wine part though, they are great but be warned if a female gets near they will do a Karen and start screaming its not hot, they get warm , they heat the fabric of the building they dont radiate heat, best left on all the time in the winter, they dont use much electricity, very popular in Scandanavia
Ian, I'm very interested to hear of your experience as I've struggled to find anyone who has used them personally. I've read that you feel a heat similar to sitting in the sun when they are pointing directly at you despite the fact they don't get "hot".

As well as heating the fabric of the building over time and assisting the underfloor to raise the room temperature my main hope was that I would feel a direct source of warmth from them as soon as they are turned on, is this the case?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back