infrared illuminators and cctv

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just wondering if any of you guys have set-up the above system. Im thinking about it but would like to hear from people with some experience being as I know naff all about it all :confused: :confused: :confused:

Sponsored Links
I set up a black and white CCTV camera which had a ring of about 12 IR emitter LEDs around the circumference of the housing.

Worked very well, and was enough to identify the faces of the oiks who were causing trouble outside my ex's house. Enough so that they stopped doing it and either stopped or went elsewhere (yes, I did feel bad when I realised that, but we set it up to gain evidence to make a complaint, not to make it someone else's problem)

I have never seen an IR emitter (LED or otherwise) that doesn't give off a visible red glow. So, you won't have a fully covert system, they will always notice the emitter (you will see a lot of double-takes on the video! :LOL: )

infra red iluminators are usualy leds which can only be seen by monochrome cameras, to have cctv set up properly is not cheap, but you can get "kits" that have cameras with "built in" ir leds, but these usually do not iluminate that far.

if you are thinking of installing it be carefull where you point the cameras, your neighbours may object

to add to adamW point true infra red leds do not glow red, the ones you will see in the high streets etc are actuall white lamps with an IR filter infront, then again you can even get mirrored IR lights If you have the money.

another thing to be considered is the range of the IR ilumination, ever wondered why most cctv cameras have 2 lights? its becasue one is a flood light the other is a spot light, so they can still see when they zoom in

I actually bought a cctv with 30 leds off ebay. Its ok for veiwing the path leading to your front door but thats it. If I had 10 or 12 of them it would do the job but that aint practical. I dont mind the red glow cos if it can be seen and that is a deterent in itself. I would like to veiw the full width off my front garden which is about 10mtrs wide. I know this may cost quite a bit so Im just looking for ideas and options. :)

Sponsored Links
its probably the camera, sounds like you need a wider angle lens, but that then means the "person" appears smaller, best thing is to have several cameras

breezer said:
its probably the camera, sounds like you need a wider angle lens, but that then means the "person" appears smaller, best thing is to have several cameras
This is where I need the advice. What spec do I look for in a wide angle lense ? Althought I want to veiw an area 10mtrs wide, the camera/s would have to be situated about 4mtrs back from the perimeter. So as you say I would probably need more than one camera. Another problem i believe is the IR lighting. Cant seem to find a cheap way around this. I know its possible to buy the LEDs and make your own which I could do if anyone has the right info. :confused:

edited to correct quote

you need a buch of IR leds and wire them in series, quantity depends on voltage used, if you wire the, in 5s they should work on 12v dc, thing is you wont be able to see them :LOL:

the main problem is making them weatherproof, only a thought you could mount them in a sealed box with a hole drilled foreach to poke through, (it works well for my house number sign)

you will be getting into the realms of professional cctv kit if you want to get a camera that has a removable lens (so you can change it) along with its price tag (unless you look at ebay) but you will then need a heated camera housing

now you know why kits are popular

Ive seen the leds on ebay before now, will have a look to see if theres any knocking about. Now this is where I really lose the plot, resistors !!! will I need any , if so what rating and where do I get them from.

if as i said you wire them in 5's (series) and run them on 12v, you should not need any resistors, the ideal way to do it though is one (1k) resistor / led for 12v

most places that supply leds will supply resistors too

breezer said:
it works well for my house number sign

If you feel like taking a picture of that and showing us what that looks like in the dark, I'm sure we would all be intrigued!

It sounds like a great way of making sure any visitors can find your house in the dark :LOL:

sign.jpg

thought the house name looked better than the number

Only the cheapest (ebay :rolleyes: ) IR led's emit visible light have you ever seen your telly remote emit light??
Just to add to Breezers advice - if you get a load of IR leds and connect them in series 'groups' - each LED is rated a voltage, e.g. Vf 1.5v now if you have a 12V supply (DC pref regulated not AC) divide 12 (Vs) by 1.5 (example Vf) = 8 LED's. You could add another LED (9) just to make sure you don't over-drive them! Also if connecting in series make sure all LED's are identical in specs and connected correct way round!
Now test on your camcorder or CCTV, assuming they are not visible to naked eye!
Just a thought though - maybe these IR leds are visible because the camera's on ebay are a little on the cheap side and are not as sensitive to anything lower in the light spectrum???

For a different idea I am (when I get a minute) going to connect a camera to a PIR flood light - camera will be covert so no little t**** in hoods and range will be very good - also option of colour if I want it!
Just got to make the little circuit that triggers the alarm input on PC capture card from PIR :D Should be quite effective me thinks!

Sponsored Links
Back