Infrared lights for automotive paint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some motorbike paint to do.
We have a spray booth at work, which I may use over Xmas.
Problem is that the heating won’t be on.
The booth is about 3x3 M so not massive but quite cool normally due to ventilation and extraction.

having watched a load of how to videos, some people use IR lamps.
I don’t want to spend a fortune, and can source a couple of oil filled radiators.

does IR have any benefit ?
Does traditional tungsten based IR work better than LED?
Working with LED theatre lights I can’t see how LED works in a paint environment

Sponsored Links
IR heats objects and surfaces, rather than the air which it passes straight through. The mobile car paint repairers use it to help both dry moisture from a surface they are working on, then later to speed up the drying of the paint, all usually done under a sort of tent. So yes, they obviously do work and have value.

Oil filled radiator are not IR, they air convection heaters, so not really much use apart from to warm the general area.

Yeah, I know the principle, I can warm the room up by sealing a couple of vents and using the oil filled heaters but once I start spraying, the vents will suck the hot air out of the room in seconds.
I probably need to spray several coats 15 mins apart which isn’t enough time to reheat the room.

hence thinking of IR

I am pretty sure I need to buy a heater intended for paint compared to some Shonky health device.
I know that IR works in reverse, by heating the metal, drying the paint from inside out

hence thinking of IR

I am pretty sure I need to buy a heater intended for paint compared to some Shonky health device.
I know that IR works in reverse, by heating the metal, drying the paint from inside out

Another thing to give serious consideration to, is flammability and the very volatile paints you will be using. Painting booths normally use flameproof equipment.

Sponsored Links
I'm not going to get preachy!
But if the heatings off, that sounds like the place is closed and you'll be lone working?
Set up a buddy system; so if you don't call in at a certain time, someone will send the cavalry! :)

Last edited:
Another thing to give serious consideration to, is flammability

Essential to ensure that fumes can not be ignited by, for example, a spark when a thermostat operates. It maybe a requirement that all electrical equipment in the spray
booth is Intrinsically Safe

It will warm the metal before any paint is applied, after paint has been sprayed onto the metal the IR will warm the surface of the paint

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back