Inherited garden shed problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The 8' by 6' shed I inherited in our back garden has a problem; its about 5 degrees of vertical. It's a good shed made from good wood and has been treated so shows no sign of rot. The base is on a concrete slab so I don't want to get rid of it. Is there a correct process that will correct this annoying fault without taking the shed down and rebuilding it.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
all i can think off is

disconnect shed from base
support on timber batons till level 1" above the base at the highest point
shuttering around the concrete base
level concrete about 3/4"[20mm] above the highest point off old base
when concrete has firmed up knock out blocks and fill
layer off felt or dpm between concrete and wood

I assume that the slab's not moved and is level?

If so, what usually happens is that there's not enough diagonal bracing across the ends of the shed, maybe none at all (and if the door is in the end like most 8x6s there's nowhere to put a decent brace. So the shed slowly goes off the square.

See if you can push it square by pushing at the top of the outward-leaning corner(s). If so get a couple of people to do that while you go inside and fix some bracing across the corners from the bottom of the outward leaning side to the top of the inward leaning one. It'll slacken off so overdo it to start with.

Sponsored Links
i did think about being off parallel but 5 degrees the door wouldn't fit and the windows would break or jamb :eek: :eek:

Thanks for that; robertw63 guessed correct the slab is square and big-all its the door and bolts that's keeping it steady. The 'door end lean' is more pronounced than the rear of the shed but I'll empty it out and see about the bracing.

Is there any way to avoid obstructing the door :?:

i would use 12mm exterior ply
get the door end square maybe by propping up with a fence post
cut a piece for each side and one[or 2] for the top where ever the bits meet make sure they are well screwed around the edges and the joins
cover the whole end for maximum rigidity

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back