initialising new sky viewing card please wait

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The
initialising new sky viewing card please wait
has been plaguing us for well over a month with many phone calls to sky with "planner rebuild" and new card supplied all to no avail.

It is in my wifes name so sky will not deal direct with me. Switching off the box or removing and refitting card gets it all up and running but next day it's back to same report.

I am at the point of getting rid of Sky just too much hassle but before pulling the plug thought it's worth asking if there is anything I can do.

I have tried Sky one more time. This time something new asked to swap LNB leads so waiting to see if cured.

Sponsored Links
All unencrypted work A1 it is only the "pay for" channels affected. The last time I contacted sky they tried to blame weather conditions and yes I understand how isotropic propagation can effect reception but unlikely at such high frequencies and it would also effect free to view channels as well.

I had thought the continuous removing and refitting of the card has damaged some of the contacts however turning on/off at mains would not cure it if that were the case.

Originally dish was at back of the house fastened onto my amateur radio mast (now not used) but one had to walk on the sloping roof to reach it. When it failed the sky people would not work on it even though they fitted it in first place due to health and safety issues.

As a result they fitted a new dish at the front of the house. This is below the telephone lines and there has been a problem with wind blowing the telephone lines across the sky dish and loss of picture for few seconds but it's been like that for many years since we changed to Sky+. The fault is only 2 months old.

The dish being only 10 foot high I can reach it from step ladders now.

Sky+ box seems quite deaf as the dish at back of house which failed to work sky+ box still works the free to air boxes without a problem. The snow moved the front dish again worked OK with free to air box but had to be re-aligned for sky+ box to work.

I use free to air box to align as it was designed as 12vdc portable and has built in buzzer and quick acting signal strength meters sky+ box meter is too slow. I also have cheap analogue meter and signal strength is quite good. At least no worst then when dish fitted by sky engineers.

I have not tried re-aiming dish with this problem as all free channels work A1.

If it goes again within next week think I will give up and cancel my sky subscription leave is a couple of months then maybe get skyHD. Or maybe just use free to air.

I'm having great difficulty in understanding your shorthand but, from what I can gather, your (unknown make/model) Sky Digibox is faulty. Get it replaced.

Sponsored Links
There might be a problem with your phone line. Try switching off cordless phones and Wi-Fi routers.

Also, have Sky tried a manual activation?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back