Injecting glue under veneer with a syringe. Is this possible

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there

I have an antique piece of furniture and its veneered with a very thin veneer. Although 99% of the veneer is stuck well, there is a small patch in the middle(maybe about an inch square) that has become delaminated. I really don't want to finely slice into the veneer, but would rather drill a very fine hole in which to inject wood glue under the veneer. Ideally I would like to use Evo-stick wood glue.

http://www.bostik.co.uk/diy/product/evo-stik/Resin-W-Extra-Fast-Interior-Wood-Adhesive/4

In my head (although im not sure if its possible), I would like to get hold of a very fine needle syringe and draw up this glue and then simply inject it under the surface of the veneer - like a form of keyhole surgery.

Is this at all possible - has anyone ever done this sort of work before? Is the evo-stik wood glue fine enough to be administered from a needle syringe? If any of this is indeed possible, where could I get this sort of needle/ syringe equipment?

If anyone can help, I would be so appreciative

Many thanks

Daniel

Sponsored Links
Daniel - back in the day the veneer will have been stuck down with 'animal' glue, sometimes called Scotch glue. This can be re-softened be using an iron. Don't use in steam iron mode but apply a little dampness to the offending position with you finger tip, cover with brown paper and apply heat from the iron. It's the combination of steam/heat that re-melts the glue. You'll 'feel' the veneer go down into the softened glue due to pressure from the iron, remove the iron/brown paper combo, and apply pressure until the glue cools ... maybe a minute or so.

Don't inject modern glue.

If a priceless antique then get a pro to do it ... he'll use a variation of the above method.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back