Inline extractor fan

r_c

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our celing mounted extractor fan has kicked the bucket. I am considering replacing with an inline fan.

Currently the ducting goes between the ceiling and the loft floor. The loft is insulated with two layers of insulation below the loft floor.

* Do inline fans sit above or below the loft floor?
* And what happens if I use uninsulated ducting like in this product image?

Sponsored Links
Our bathroom is internal and windowless. It is extracted using an in-line fan. The fan is in the eaves (we have a habitable loft space), fixed to the wall, but is not in an insulated area. The only issue we had was a small amount of noise transmission through the wall, so I remounted the fan on rubber feet using frame anchors to insulate the wall from any vibration. It's been there 27 years so far and I'm on my second fan motor.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Thanks
Reactions: r_c
Above the floor. If you put a piece of carpet underlay or something on both sides of the mounting board, and rubber tap-washers under the screw heads, it will minimise vibration.

The Soler & Palau Silent fans are more expensive, but very quiet and I think better. If you have steamy showers I'd suggest about 240 cu.m/hr throughput with a timer overrun.

Electricity cost and noise are negligible.

You can flop loft insulation over the duct to reduce condensation. Rigid duct is better and you can tilt it so any water runs outside

• Thanks
Reactions: r_c

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back