Inner wall condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've converted a room that wasn't really used into a home office because 2020 and have started getting patches and drips on the walls.

This is the inside of a NW facing wall. The part of the wall that is sticking out is a, not used, chimney breast. There is a radiator under the window.

I'm assuming that is just standard condensation but could it be a symptom of something else?

If it is condensation is there an effective treatment other than external rendering, there is none currently?

IMG_3061.jpg IMG_3064.jpg IMG_3065.jpg

Sponsored Links
Do you have and use kitchen and bathroom extractor fans?
How do you dry clothes?

Could be damp from unvented chimney, or poor stack condition .Is the chimney completely sealed ?

Thanks for your replies!

Do you have and use kitchen and bathroom extractor fans?
How do you dry clothes?

Have kitchen and bathroom extractors. Bathroom is in an extension off the back of the house so not connected to this room. Clothes are dried in a condensing tumble dryer. The kitchen is directly below this room and we don't use the fan religiously as it is pretty noisy but we will normally open a window when cooking.

Could be damp from unvented chimney, or poor stack condition .Is the chimney completely sealed ?

We did check the outside of the chimney and there are some cracks in the joints around the top. Not sure if it is completely sealed or not. We have an air vent in another breast downstairs but there isn't one in this room.

Sponsored Links
How is the room ventilated?

There is a large window that has a small vent at the top, that is the only ventilation (other than the window that doesn't get opened in the winter). I have smart heating that says that the humidity peaks at about 65% just before the radiator comes on.

I
There is a large window that has a small vent at the top, that is the only ventilation (other than the window that doesn't get opened in the winter). I have smart heating that says that the humidity peaks at about 65% just before the radiator comes on.

You need that probably below 50%. All chimney flues need ventilation, I would suggest that you add an 'hit and miss' grill to that chimney flue and ensure it is capped with a ventilated cap.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back