Ins. (not)

Mrs S just renewed the car insurance. Didn't help she left it until 6 hours before expiry....

They are absolute bu66ers. We have Mrs S insured for the Honda and the Mitsub SpaceStar, and each boy insured for the SpaceStar.

The good thing is, it's not a blackbox policy.

Oldest lad 23 with 4 years NCD.
Middle lad 19 on his first year after having passed his test in February.
Youngest on provisional.

Our premium last year was 725.
This year they wanted nearly an extra 500.

Did the usual call, asking what could be done on the price.

The idiot in the call centre started saying, well, we could shave a few thousand off your mileages.

We wanted a reduction on the price with the same amount of cover!

After a bit of to and fro, it came down to 1K. Still dear, but we had a quote with someone else and they couldn't even provide a quote.

Has anybody else got a multicar policy? Is yours good value?

Sponsored Links
Said it before & will again .. IMO car insurance is the biggest legal rip-off around.

We are pensioners, both with max NCD & insured with DL last year. Agent was very helpful & secured us a competitive quote, this year they jacked it up by 40% when RPI was running at less than 9%. Called them (20mins to get through) to enquire as to the reason for the increase .. no explanation, effectively take it or leave it. We took the latter option.

Secured a competitive quote from another provider, job done (well at least until next year anyway)

Sponsored Links
Take your point, but I don't spend anything like as long trawling comparison web-sites for home insurance every bloody year.
Why does it take that long? There are only a small number of these aggregation sites. Once you go though them, there's nothing else you can do.

Said it before & will again .. IMO car insurance is the biggest legal rip-off around.

We are pensioners, both with max NCD & insured with DL last year. Agent was very helpful & secured us a competitive quote, this year they jacked it up by 40% when RPI was running at less than 9%. Called them (20mins to get through) to enquire as to the reason for the increase .. no explanation, effectively take it or leave it. We took the latter option.

Secured a competitive quote from another provider, job done (well at least until next year anyway)
Trouble is, being pensioners you’ve gone through the 'sweet spot' age that makes you less likely to have a claim and it’s only going to get worse as you get older.

Trouble is, being pensioners you’ve gone through the 'sweet spot' age that makes you less likely to have a claim and it’s only going to get worse as you get older.
Too true, fortunately my partner is the main driver, 7 years younger than me & is also the registered keeper, so I'm a named driver though it is my car.
There are insurers out there that will not cover over 75 year old's. I've get to be loaded on my classic, but we'll see what this August's renewal throws up :cautious:

I think they go on the oldest driver on the policy anyway.
Depends on the insurer, in the case of DL last year's premium for me (@ 77) as policy holder was a fair bit more expensive than my partner.
It could also be that although I'm the legal owner I'm not the reg. keeper.

Generally insurers don't like any answer on the questionnaire they consider even vaguely left-field.

When your insurance comes around next year you might consider giving LV a try. They are highly rated by Which? and for many, though not the most keenly priced, they were very competitive for my late dad who was still driving at 92.

When your insurance comes around next year you might consider giving LV a try. They are highly rated by Which? and for many, though not the most keenly priced, they were very competitive for my late dad who was still driving at 92.
Thank you for that, I'll bear it in mind for the future.

We are with LV for out car and pet and have been with them for a few years. I always check other sites when it’s renewal time. Two of us, business use inc commuting and SDP, fully comp, max NCB. This year though I thought they were taking the mick. It was around £240 last year. Had a couple of 'incidents' where our car was hit by others and their insurance paid for it so no claims on our policy. The incidents were notified to LV. This year's renewal price was £330 so I looked elsewhere. I couldn’t find anywhere less than £500 so I stayed with them.

Do you know any other insurance that isn't a rip off?
To be fair, insurance that isn't a legal requirement is quite reasonable. I'm paying £79 a year for our boat, 3rd Party only and "removal of wreck". Boat insurance is a bit messy, in that although it's not a legal requirement, practically every marina and harbour will insist on at least 3rd Party cover, as a condition of mooring.

If I were to go "fully comp", the premium wouldn't be much more, but they attach a lot of strings with older boats. You need a survey ever so many years (which can get very expensive), and you then have to act on the surveyor's recommendations. The surveyors, in turn, cover their backsides increasingly, by telling you to replace lots of stuff that "might" fail. Obviously, 3rd Party only insurance, sidesteps the need for the survey, but if your boat sinks, they don't pay out (other than for the clear-up operation).

Sponsored Links
Back