Insects in the green house - pls help me identify and get rid.

Sponsored Links
Looks like spider mites to me. Have a look at a pest spray but make sure it's one ok to use on edible crops :)

Sponsored Links
Spider mites are red/brown. Anyway a general fumigation will do.
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=190

"Despite the common name, during the spring and summer glasshouse red spider mites are yellowish-green with a pair of darker markings. Because of this, they are sometimes called the glasshouse two-spotted spider mite. They only become orange-red during the autumn and winter resting period. "

Fumigation has to be for vegetables, otherwise it may not be safe to eat the products.

Last edited by a moderator:
https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=190

"Despite the common name, during the spring and summer glasshouse red spider mites are yellowish-green with a pair of darker markings. Because of this, they are sometimes called the glasshouse two-spotted spider mite. They only become orange-red during the autumn and winter resting period. "

Fumigation has to be for vegetables, otherwise it may not be safe to eat the products.

Well from the photo the inset seems to have 6 legs, spider mites have 8 (I think) I don't think a sulphur bomb fumigation would have any adverse effects on veg.

Well from the photo the inset seems to have 6 legs, spider mites have 8 (I think) I don't think a sulphur bomb fumigation would have any adverse effects on veg.
First stage they have 6 legs!
Grins.
Just pulling yours :)

ps - I think you should fumigate the greenhouse without plants in it at all...

Last edited by a moderator:
How's that gonna help?
Eddie, I am pretty sure setting off those bombs will hurt some plants, certainly hurt beneficial insects like bees. Sure, will get rid of the bugs but.....!!
Those bombs should be used when the greenhouse is empty, say early Spring before planting.

Look it up.

Eddie, I am pretty sure setting off those bombs will hurt some plants, certainly hurt beneficial insects like bees. Sure, will get rid of the bugs but.....!!
Those bombs should be used when the greenhouse is empty, say early Spring before planting.

Look it up.

Sigh, maybe some ladybird larve then.

Bit of a wacky idea, grow nettles next to your plants, and the aphids will go for them instead.

You need a wasps nests nearby, wasps love those. For 99% of the waps life it is one of our best friends in eating all manner of crop destroying pests, without wasps the farmers would be using considerably more poisons that we would end up consuming.

It's hard to say for sure, but it does look like an aphid to me - when you say 'putting holes in' do you mean it sticks it's proboscis in to suck (aphid), or that it's biting holes (not aphid)?
I wouldn't worry too much - my preferred method in a small space like a greenhouse with aphids is to pick or squash them by hand, spray them off with water, or grow plants nearby which attract hoverfly https://www.gardenersworld.com/plants/the-best-flowers-for-hoverflies/ I'd also keep the greenhouse open so that hoverfly, ladybirds and other predators can get in. Courgettes and mints are both pretty fast growing plants that won't be bothered by a small number of aphids.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back