Inserting Steel beam into opening

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking at putting an opening in a load bearing brick wall but have a few questions:

I know what each type entails but what is the difference between using a strong boy versus acrows with needles (metal or timber?) going through the wall to the support the wall before inserting the steel beam?

Also, my structural engineer has said to use 215x150x150 deep mass concrete padstones on the brick nibs on either side of the opening. the wall I'm removing is approx 230mm thick so prsumably this means that the long dimension (215mm side) of the padstone should lie across the thickness of the wall with one 150mm side being vertical and one 150mm side being horizontal?? Also, where do you get pre-made concrete padstones from, a builders merchants?

How much should the steel beam overlap onto the padstone? Should the beam rest solely on the padstone and not overlap onto the brickwork at all?

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back