Insomnia

Whitespirit66 said:
Are you honestly saying that Terry is an automaton?

I've got nothing against terry really - except when he won't shut up :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: - but there was something about his show that made me drowsy. I think it was the fact that you could listen without having to take in any detail.

Actually it wasn't just Wogan. I'm famous for falling asleep in front of the TV. We both are. The strange thing is that, in her case at least, if I switch the thing off she wakes up. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I went to the doctor with my sleep problem the other day. He told me to just lie on the edge of the bed and I'll soon drop off. :D

To be serious for a minute...

As I have gotten older I find I need very little sleep. I’m 52 now but when I was 20 I could sleep like Rip Van Winkle, waking up at gone 11 or mid day on weekend mornings. But now I go to bed at about 2 a.m. and I’m up at anything between 5 a.m to 8 a.m. If I feel like a lie-in after a particularly knackering day feeling shaggerd out it might be 9 a.m. but they are rare.

I remember when I lived next to an old bag and I could hear her faffing around in the early hours and thought to myself why the hec is she up. When I retire I, I thought to myself, I’d want to lie–in instead of having to get up for work. I understand now why.

I’ve tried the drink thing but it’s not quality sleep and your mouth feels like the bottom of a birds cage in the morning. Also, if you have problems holding your water it could get you up in the night although I’m pleased to say there’s nothing wrong with my sphincters yet. Either that or I have a 20 litre bladder. If that’s not too much information I don’t know what is.

Next week, my first w##k...

Next week, my first w##k...
That would make a good thread - it's something every one of us remembers.
:LOL:

Well it started when I was four and a frog from our garden pond jumped on my back. I was exited but didn't know why so I just kissed it - and you will never believe what happened next!!

It was just a frog and I have been careful of fairytales ever since, and the biggest of all is The Bible.

(Waits for hate e-mail.....)

Circumsision is child abuse! Sorry son, you're eight days old, time for torture, Phlebotomy, child abuse..............

Tone - Queen of topic drift :D

Sponsored Links
I've suffered from this for many many years, its a family trait
I usually go to kip around 4ish then up for work around 8 sometimes (at least twice a month) I dont bother with sleep at all but still stay awake till the early hours the following night
Now this doesn't bother me (more my partner) and I cope fine
but it would be interesting to know how it effects everyone else who suffers from it

Matt

I normally have a few days each month where I cannot sleep. Sometimes I am thinking about the next day's job. I have recently started wearing an eye mask which I aquired on my last long haul flight and I find that it helps. Especially now that the mornings are so bright. Also some earplugs.

My insomnia was brought about, I believe, by stupid shifts, in my previous job, Did a week of 7 days 6-2, then immediately swapped to 3-11, for 3 days, then 2 days off, then 3-11 for 3 days, then no break, 6-2 for 7 days. So often, if working overtime, not in bed until 2am, with a start of 6am.

Apparently that is against the law, but my bosses didn't see it like that. And apparently, having an irregualar bodyclock, means you are at more risk of a heart attack.

So there are days when I can go without sleep at all, or eating, then 24 hours in bed, followed by constant eating, and sleep in the afternoon. During winter, it was common not to see daylight, as the shifts prevented you.

Apparently pilots suffer from insomnia.

Mickmoody reminds me of what a friend of mine said when he was working shifts at Davenports, the brewers, based in Birmingham town centre. If he was on continuous lates he could adapt but it was the changing of shifts every so often that really screwed him up.

I know babies grow and the body repairs itself during sleep, so I’m going to guess you’re not a tall guy matt1e if you have suffered with it for so very long?

Not done 24/7 call for a while, but still suffer from it.
One week on one off, 10 years. When other lad sick/hols took that over. Longest was 12 weeks, and it was 5 calls per night minimum.
Then went onto different rotas. Even worse.
Mind you, earning a grand a weekend made up for it not a few years later :S

Even my eating patterns have not reverted, think nothing of a roast dinner at 4 am!

Worst, sons must have been 3 and 5 and never saw them awake for 5 weeks. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

I know babies grow and the body repairs itself during sleep, so I’m going to guess you’re not a tall guy matt1e if you have suffered with it for so very long?

Just over 5' 7" and been this way as long as I can remember mate

Sponsored Links
Back