instal power shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can I connect a power shower pump directly to entire bathroom feed pipes from hot and cold tanks respectively, leaving rest of house on gravity feed?

Sponsored Links
The pump input pipes should go back to the hw cylinder and cw loft tank. If you connect straight to the bath pipes, you might be ok, or you might not depending where the pipes split to the other taps. It's possible to suck air in through another tap...

I am installing a varispeed 50 in a fairly normal airing cupboard, next to the very large hot tank which has 22mm pipework. It looks just like the installation in fig 1 of the installation instructions.

The house was built with two bathrooms and has adequate hot and cold tank supplies. I have taken one bath out for the shower.

My first question concerns the plumbing options. What I would like to do is to leave the vent from the top of the tank as it is, but blank off the feed to the bathroom hot water supply.

I would then fix a warix or surry flange or similar to the hot tank top and feed this supply to the pump. The outflow from the pump would then supply both bathroom hot taps.

I would do something similar for the cold, i.e. disconnect the cold outflow from the loft tank just after the isolation valve, put in a T and feed the new into the pump and then connect the new cold supply after the pump to the bathrooms (ecept the handbasin cold which is mains.)

I realise of course that this would mean that when anyone turns on a hot or cold tap in the bathroom, when the pump is activated they will get a pumped supply, but I intend to fit a switched fused spur and only switch the power on prior to having a shower, and off afterwards, or turn the varispeed down to minimum.

Once switched off, I hope that the water will flow as usual (though unpumped) though the pump body and be as a normal supply. This part of the plan is crucial.

Will this work as expected ?

The massive advantage will be that I will not have to route new pipes through the loft or under the floorboards, uncover and disconnect the existing shower fittings and reconnect etc. etc

My second question concerns the flow switch which is located above one of the pump outflow pipes. It simply has two wires coming out of it. Where do they go?

Last question is about the rated 15 mins on and 60 mins off. Can I instal some kind of timer to the pump elect supply to cut off after say 10 or 15 mins? Are they available?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back