Install flue liner ourselves?

I've got 6" liner on mine (big old Villager with water jacket), went up absolutely fine (1850 brick terrace)

Sponsored Links
That price is a micktake with access already in place. Have a chat with your BCO (presumably they're involved with a full refurb), they have the authority to approve your installation of the liner.
If you buy the stuff yourself you can buy metal cones which screw onto the liner, £25 or something like. Yes the 8 inch might be a struggle, best to pull the liner up the flue rather than down

I have never pulled a liner up unless it was removing a 5" Copex.
The effect of gravity aids the installation process.

Good luck in getting an 8" liner down a 9x9 chimney …. unless it is straight.

no it’s not straight. A chap who suggested it thinks will need to break into chimney breast which is fine where we haven’t plastered yet but just got the loft plastered :whistle:

Sponsored Links
You may need to at every change of direction.
I have had problems with 6" liners on some poorly built ones.

I would try and drag a metre length through first, roped either end so it can be recovered if it sticks . Even if that pulls through its not a guarentee a full length would go without a struggle as theres more friction .

That price is a micktake with access already in place. Have a chat with your BCO (presumably they're involved with a full refurb), they have the authority to approve your installation of the liner.
If you buy the stuff yourself you can buy metal cones which screw onto the liner, £25 or something like. Yes the 8 inch might be a struggle, best to pull the liner up the flue rather than down

Our BCO says he doesn’t do chimneys for insurance reasons, annoyingly....
Phoned another couple of installers, won’t install stove unless their liner :(

Last edited:
Is there a working fire in the fireplace where the 8” liner is going, if so has an inspection been done of it and thats why a liner has to be installed

Is there a working fire in the fireplace where the 8” liner is going, if so has an inspection been done of it and thats why a liner has to be installed
Yes a working fire going in how much it will be used to be honest I’m not sure. Tried lighting a fire and no pull at all. Also my sister didn’t line her chimney and had problems with smoke going into kids bedroom from chimney, when fire lit in sitting room so prob mortar no good. So I thought I would get it lined to be on safe side. House is circa 1910

• Thanks
Reactions: bsr
You wouldnt necessarily get much better draw with a liner in a cold flue unless the old one was leaking.
While you have the scaffolding it may be an idea to cover the chimney and light a smoke pellet and see if can detect any leaks . have you a picture of the fireplace

You wouldnt necessarily get much better draw with a liner in a cold flue unless the old one was leaking.
While you have the scaffolding it may be an idea to cover the chimney and light a smoke pellet and see if can detect any leaks . have you a picture of the fireplace

Attachments

• 5B99685F-8EEB-4F9A-88B6-9654824CEAB4.jpeg
    5B99685F-8EEB-4F9A-88B6-9654824CEAB4.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 59
  • B43019A8-00B5-4BB1-AF4D-7CB2B54E990E.jpeg
    B43019A8-00B5-4BB1-AF4D-7CB2B54E990E.jpeg
    308.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 20875414-D33B-4A08-8126-99C1402A94A0.jpeg
    20875414-D33B-4A08-8126-99C1402A94A0.jpeg
    377.2 KB · Views: 62
It looks a very shallow recess for a large opening. is the flue brick built all the way or is there a gather and liner. Do you know what similar properties have had done

It looks a very shallow recess for a large opening. is the flue brick built all the way or is there a gather and liner. Do you know what similar properties have had done
Its about 12 inches deep, dont know about similar properties on the road but I will investigate. When you say gather do you mean how the chimney narrows just above the opening going up inside the chimney breast?

IMG_5311.JPG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back