Install new shower screen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have had a search and i know there are various postings already regarding shower screens, but i cant find the information i need.

I have just finished fitting mosaic tiles around my bath, and prior to that i had a shower installed. i knew i wanted a shower screen so i made sure i tiled past the point on the wall where the screen will be placed. i really only want a basic screen, which i have now brought, but it seems basic also means no instructions or screw fittings.

So i need a bit of advise on how to fit the screen. i have read on here about using masking tape and slowly drilling into the tile. am i best drilling into the centre of the mosaic, or into the grout between the tiles? and what fixings do i need to buy? the wall behind the tiles is plasterboard.

thanks for your help!

Sponsored Links
You can get drill bits specifically for tile drilling if you want / need to go straight through a tile rather than the grount (they look like an arrowhead), but take it slow and steady. And if you've any spare tiles then have a few practice runs on them to get it right before you try it on the wall mounted ones - better to knacker the spares than the real ones ;)
Try screwfix: http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?cId=101250&ts=73189

You don't need a special tile drill bit. Get yourself a 5.5mm masonary drill bit, some wall plugs, some woodscrews (something like 4 x 40 should be ok) and a pencil.
Mark where the screws need fixing through the support with the pencil and then drill the holes. Start very slowly until you have centered the drill properly, then increase the speed (Do not use hammer action until you are through the tile). It's a good idea to hold a dustpan just beneath where you are drilling to catch the brick dust as it can be difficult to remove from grout (especially when it's still wet! - you only do that once, believe me).

Always drill through the tile (never the grout) and if you can help it don't drill too near the edge or it might break out to the edge. There's nothing wrong with making extra holes in the support to avoid the grout line or the edge of a tile.

I don't know why so many people are frightened about drilling tiles. I actually prefer them to drilling in plaster walls. Once centered the drill will not wander and you always get a really strong fix through a tile.

Good luck,
Gcol

What type of mosaic did you fit?

Ceramic, stone or fully vitified?

The first two you can drill as above, if it's the third (this is the type you often find in swimming pools and looks like coloured glass) then you'll struggle to drill this, I'd just mark where the hole is to be drilled, check that the wall channel covers the tile in question and remove it altogether before you drill your hole.

Sponsored Links
hi guys, thanks for the help. ive been away for a week so have only just read your replys.
i have found out after phone the shop i brought the screen from that there should have been instructions and fittings in with the shower and have now provided these to me, so i now have the screws and raw plugs etc.
i will be giving it a go tonight or tomorrow and i feel a lot happier about doing it, thanks.

one final question though - i have standard raw plugs, and the wall behind the tiles is plasterboard, should i use plasterboard plugs or with the normal ones surfice?

thanks again!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back