Install stainless flue liner from bottom up?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've seen multiple instructions that show the liner being lowered from above, always looks pretty awkward! Can they also be installed by pulling them up through the chimney using a small A-frame bridge on the stack? Is it just the weight that may make it difficult? Seems like a safer way of doing it to me..

Sponsored Links
Up or down what ever your preference.

From the top - always, unless there are exceptional circumstances.

Whichever way its threaded through you still have to work on the roof at the stack.
Dropping it down is much easier than trying to pull it up - for many reasons.

OP, only a suggestion but try & keep your posts on a similar subject on the same thread.

Dropping it down is much easier than trying to pull it up - for many reasons.

Could you name me a few? (not being awkward, just struggling to see the benefit as ive never tried it before)

Sponsored Links
Gravity is obviously the main one. Its much easier to dangle something flexible than push something flexible upwards.

Really trying hard to avoid sarcasm....

I wasn't thinking of pushing it up, I was thinking of using the nosecone/rope to pull up from the top of the stack, or even a simple a-frame/pulley. Unroll the liner straight along the floor, nice large controlled bend radius with someone on the ground easing it round the corner. Its going into a straight clay liner with no bends/snags. Compared to wrestling with a large metal snake on the roof and putting the liner under greater bending, to me it doesn't sound like much between the 2.

I was just surprised not to see any advice anywhere using starting from the bottom so wondered if there was a fundamental reason not to.

The liner is a bit of stainless steel sheet that is rolled up diagonaly and crimped at the edges. If you pull the liner up and it snags,further pulling will destroy the crimped joint, it will open out like a spring. when you drop it down the flue the weight of the upper sections keep the joints tight.
Frank

The flexible liners are corigated, you can pull them up with a rope and a guy at the bottom to help push up. Add a cone in the top to help you thred it through and keep it free of crap. Top down is usual, but so is bottom up especially if it's blanket wrapped.

Frank I think you are thinking of twin wall flue. No point in using that in an existing chimney.

Last edited:
If it's blanket wrapped it's normally easier from bottom to top, but otherwise it's easier from top to bottom.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back