Installation Of Pop Up Kitchen Socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a "pop up" kitchen socket to go in the new kitchen like this - http://www.schulte.com/index.php

To power it I understand I can pop a fused spur of the ring main in, but I am limited to a 13A current draw onm the fused spur, so am I right in saying I can just pop a junction box in and take a spur (unfused) from the ring?

And yes, I know it's notifiable.

Sponsored Links
When I looked at one of these for our kitchen it was going to be connected to the ring by a double pole FCU so that it could be fully isolated in case of damage or water ingress to the pop up. Also some concerns about the rating of the flexible cable feeding the sockets.

In the end we did not use a pop up.

When I looked at one of these for our kitchen it was going to be connected to the ring by a double pole FCU so that it could be fully isolated in case of damage or water ingress to the pop up. Also some concerns about the rating of the flexible cable feeding the sockets.

That was my thinking behind using a FCU.

But then I started thinking that you could take a socket on a spur from a ring, so there is little difference (except the spillage issues of course).

From waht I can make out the cable is rated to 20A.

You can only connect a double socket using an unfused spur, 2.5mm cable clipped direct will not handle three sockets all drawing 13amps.

Sponsored Links
You can only connect a double socket using an unfused spur, 2.5mm cable clipped direct will not handle three sockets all drawing 13amps.

Thanks, fused it is then. It's only having a 5amp toaster occasionally pugged into it.

13A fused fitted, I'll never get near the 20A rating of the device.

Yeah fused spur, you'd have to be sustaining about 20 amps to pop it anyway (the 13amp fuse). Know of an electric floor drawing a measured 15.6 amps on one, has worked for years...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back