Installation of upvc French doors where existing window is.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello I'm wanting to install French upvc doors where an existing window is. I plan to cut the brickwork and interior blocks/bricks using a 9" grinder. The French doors are the right size width and the lintel doesn't need to be moved.

I'm not sure if I need to lay a soldier course at the bottom of the doors or standard brickwork is sufficient. There should be a 10mm gap at either side and was gonna place plastic chocks/spacers to help levels the doors.

All advice would be hugely helpful and appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sounds straightforward enough if you don't have to touch the lintel. There is no need for a soldier course either as your cill will overhang anyway and straight brickwork is fine. I would also put plastic sheeting up to cordon off the area if you are wanting to keep your house clean as the dust will be everywhere with a grinder.

Thanks for the reply, would you put expanding foam round the frame? What fixings are best to use?

Sponsored Links
I tend to favour M8 X 120mm frame fixings and then fill the perimeter with foam which is then trimmed flush once cured prior to applying a good quality silicone sealant.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back