Installed Insulation in loft, appropriate gaps for wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So today I started topping up the existing 100mm insulation in our flat with 200mm Krauf stuff. I've read on various sites that you're not to cover any electrical wiring with insulation due to the fact you'll be de-rating the current carrying capacity of the cable, but the consensus is lighting cable is alright to cover as even when de-rated with insulation it's still often within specs.

Unfortunately ALL wiring goes through the loft - cooker cable, shower cable, ring mains etc so there was no way I could simply lay insulation without giving a thought to the location of cabling. There is very little slack in all cables, but as they've been mostly clipped neatly to rafters I decided to cut the new insulation so as to leave a small gap between the insulation and any cables.

If you could check the following photos and give your opinions on it, is the installation suitable and could I have done anything better etc? it would be appreciated :)

(also what's the black stuff on the first photo..? - it's above a kitchen so I assume moisture/mould?)

---

Sponsored Links
The black on the insulation?

Probably just dirt, as various insects or dust is blown up through the vents at the eaves.

But check to see if the plasterboard underneath has a vapour control layer (Plastic sheet) or is foil backed, if not then maybe to much moisture is getting through and it is mould. It's unlikely though as you would also get mould on the joists (unlikely but not unheard of).

Ask them weirdos in the leccy section.

:LOL:

The black on the insulation?

Probably just dirt, as various insects or dust is blown up through the vents at the eaves.

But check to see if the plasterboard underneath has a vapour control layer (Plastic sheet) or is foil backed, if not then maybe to much moisture is getting through and it is mould. It's unlikely though as you would also get mould on the joists (unlikely but not unheard of).

Interesting stuff, shall have a look later for a plastic sheet etc. I couldn't see any moisture on the joists.

Would a moderator mind moving this thread to the electric section? :)

Sponsored Links
I see cables covered with insulation all the time so i'm perplexed as to why there are not more homes spontaneously combusting the length and breadth of the country.

According to what some sparks would have you believe there must be a hundred homes on every estate in every city or town that should be catching fire as we speak.

I hear no sirens..... :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back