Installers and their NSI accreditation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,

Apologies up front if there is a similar post to this - I'm having to post quickly at work (internet access policy!)
(I USED to have a PC at home until earlier in the week, then got burgled - joy :confused: )

Anyway, I need to get a domestic alarm installed pretty quick as I don't want it happening again and I would prefer to use a registered local company.

I believe NSI is an appropriate standard and had a quick look on their website for local installers. I've noted that there are different accreditation levels Gold, Silver, Bronze.
This is my question. What is the difference in these levels - e.g. are the installers more qualified or is it a customer service thing?
Or will gold installers typically be the most expensive?

Any advice very welcome as I need to move fast. Ordinarily I would research at home at leisure - but a little difficult for the time being...

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
All NSI approved companies:

meet the highest business performance standards
meet all relevant British and European Standards for technical performance
security screen all relevant staff (security companies)
provide a high level of staff training and supervision to industry best practice standards
are comprehensively insured to protect customers and staff
are inspected every six months by professional auditors including random site visits

NSI Gold companies also:

meet the industry specific ISO 9001:2008 Quality Management System Standard
demonstrate a long term track record of performance and evidence of reliability and stability

no bronze but either gold or silver will be able to help. Ignore the dooms sayers on here - as a minimum you need to know the person you give the job to has been police checked and knows the current regs, you cannot CRB yourself.

which area are you in?

no bronze but either gold or silver will be able to help. Ignore the dooms sayers on here - as a minimum you need to know the person you give the job to has been police checked and knows the current regs, you cannot CRB yourself.

which area are you in?
I'm in warrington, Cheshire.
Picked a few from local area. Will use this as basis for arranging some quotes. Maybe any recommends I can get also.

Sponsored Links

which area are you in?
I'm in warrington, Cheshire.
Picked a few from local area. Will use this as basis for arranging some quotes. Maybe any recommends I can get also.

let us know who and what they say - unbiased opinion and all that.

Ok will pass on some feedback.

When I get quotes, are some sensors more expensive or effective than
others? Eg infra red, door sensors, vibration sensors?
Having just been burgled and they broke glass, door ones would prob
not been much use! Views appreciated so spec for quote is same.

Ok will pass on some feedback.

When I get quotes, are some sensors more expensive or effective than
others? Eg infra red, door sensors, vibration sensors?
Having just been burgled and they broke glass, door ones would prob
not been much use! Views appreciated so spec for quote is same.

personally I (and most trade) don`t like impact detectors ................

make sufe whoever comes fit worki ng external sirens. Some will advocate dummy sirens and a monitored system. working sirens still have their uses.

make sufe whoever comes fit worki ng external sirens. Some will advocate dummy sirens and a monitored system. working sirens still have their uses.

hi Mark - only one firm used to do this - your not an approved installer please dont confuse the issue.

personally I (and most trade) don`t like impact detectors ................

This makes things easier - thanks

I also think a working siren/bell and some sort of flashing light on the box would be a definite advantage. It would identify the house better in the event of any future trouble.
Neighbourhood doesn't get much trouble and this has been a wake up call to all in our small Close. So if it went off, I know it would be called in asap.

let us know who and what they say - unbiased opinion and all that.

Well finally got some quotes together.
System looking at 9 zones in all. 7 DualTecs, 2 door contacts. Key pad porch & bedroom.
Box on front (light, siren etc) and dummy on back.
Wired system as house bit of a mess, and lifting boards/carpets ok.

Ball park £1k + VAT.

I know it's difficult to give feedback having not seen a job - but am I in the right ballpark or too expensive?

Right Ball park

Allthough an non approved equivalent would be £505 no vat and no dualtech either just standard pir.

Right Ball park

Allthough an non approved equivalent would be £505 no vat and no dualtech either just standard pir.
Really??

Ballpark for approved but absolutely spot on otherwise.
May we know why there is such a difference? and how you can state with such certainty?

Having just read another of your posts, i think we know the reason behind your answer.
Your reply above was nothing more than mischief as you know nothing about approved installers do you Mark.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back