DIY home automation, notification, Part P?

However, would this work not come under exemption 2.c.1 (shown below) as it is simply adding a "switch" to an existing circuit

For this sort of legal interpretation stuff you'd do better looking at Approved Document P for advice than here. The switch exemption you crave only applies to lighting circuits.

Sounds like an expensive proposition and I doubt you could fool anybody with half a brain that it was done pre Part-P so put in a building notice and hire the test kit and do it yourself. It's not rocket science and will let you flog your house without complication when the time comes. Or buy test kit off ebay, use it, put it back on again. Make sure has current certificate.

The reference book you need for the wiring / testing etc is The On Site Guide (ISBN 184919287) but that will not cover the automation, just the 'standard' electrics.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local