Installing a Bathroom / Utility Room Vent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a terrace house with single floor extension out back with a bathroom, small utility closet and back door within it (I'm sure most of you know the type -- typical 2 up 2 down).

The bathroom has no ventilation other than a window and the utility has none.

The shower is on the wall that goes through into the utility. It's my plan to knock a hole through the top corner of that wall and install an intake vent. From this I went to use 100mm fexi hose that runs into an inline fan in the utility room.

Out of the fan I wish to use more fexi hose that runs to the ceiling from the fan and into a Round to flat vent converter. The flat venting then runs through the 2nd stud wall out of the utility, across the 1M wide hallway, back into another convertor that goes through the external wall and into the external vent.

Edit : There is a 3 pin wall plug socket in the utility closet. I plan on running power from this into a 6A Fan Isolater Switch, which in turn is wired to the fan. Is this the correct method for this?

My main questions are

1) Can I wall mount the inline fan? Or should I run hose to the floor, floor mount it and run hose back UP the the 2nd wall in the utility?

2) In the future I wish to T junction from the fan outlet so I can plug a dryer hose into the vents. When I turn on the fan it should take out all the moist air from the dryer with it. Is this a good idea? Would it be better in front of the fan...i think that could blow back into the bathroom?

3) I'm scared of making the hole in the external wall. It's double bricked. I've looked into core drills, but I've never done anything like this before. Any tips?

4) The hole from the bathroom requires me to go through a tile. How could I go about this?

Sorry for all the questions. But I'm a computer techie and not so confident around manual labour! :)

Sponsored Links
IMOP and i am just a puter techie 2 i would put separate holes for each item unless the extractor for the bathroom has non return vents or you may find your shower smells like bounce :)

If it were me and its brick i would go for the core bit, its easy when you get it going!!!

hire a core drill, it's easy.

you want one with a clutch that will release if it gets stuck, otherwise (they are quite powerful) it might spin you round by the arm, which is undesirable.

IMOP and i am just a puter techie 2 i would put separate holes for each item unless the extractor for the bathroom has non return vents or you may find your shower smells like bounce :)

I figured putting the output from the dryer into the output pipe from the fan would stop this from happening (provided the fan is running at the same time of course)

Sponsored Links
I added this to the main post :

Edit : There is a 3 pin wall plug socket in the utility closet. I plan on running power from this into a 6A Fan Isolater Switch, which in turn is wired to the fan. Is this the correct method for this?

I figured putting the output from the dryer into the output pipe from the fan would stop this from happening (provided the fan is running at the same time of course)

I would hate for you to forget to turn the fan on and bounce your shower :) if you are hiring a core bit do two holes they are simple enough saves any future moisture problems.

as for the plug top its not the ideal way to do it but if you fuse it down at the plug i see no real problems

I would hate for you to forget to turn the fan on and bounce your shower :) if you are hiring a core bit do two holes they are simple enough saves any future moisture problems.

as for the plug top its not the ideal way to do it but if you fuse it down at the plug i see no real problems

Thanks for the help. Would installing a damper somewhere in the pipeline before the dryer input help stop backdraft?

you're determined to just drill one hole, aren't you :(

you're determined to just drill one hole, aren't you :(

I'd prefer it, yes. I've just ordered all the kit and I've decided to go with an airbrick. In which case I may well buy two and stick em both in. I've seen double airbricks but none seem to have attachments to allow 2 inputs into the single brick.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back