Installing a chrome radiator in a bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install a chrome radiator in a bathroom. I currently have a radiator as part of my gas central heating system. I have seen a model (£85) which it says is suitable for both hot water central heating systems and electrical systems, but you also need an electrical element kit. Would this just be if I wanted to run it off my electric? Are there any pitfalls/experiences on this subject anyone wants to share with me?? I would appreciate any constructive advice before I outlay any hard earned cash! :)

Sponsored Links
The electric element kit is for if you just want the radiator to run off electricity - ie not be connected up to your central heating system. I guess its really up to you but if the connections are already there why not connect it?

the electrical connections are there so that in the summer when the heating isn't on you can still have warm towels.

aleks

I have just about finished installing a similar rad. Main problems I had were finding I had wrong brackets (curved rad - all left hand) and then on completion discovering that some of the chrome was peeling off! So back to B&Q yet again.
The main thing I need confirmed is the earthing requirement for this rad when used with electrical element - wired to fused, switched spur outside of the bathroom. I have plastic pipes so I presume it shouldn't be bonded or should it be bonded as it is an electrical appliance and if so do I bond it back to the main earth? I have looked up several articles and I am still unsure - does anyone please know the best solution? :confused:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the quick response. If earthed to the main earth at the meter end (PME) can I link the other end to the earth terminal in the fused spur rather than trying to hide an earth cable on a shiny new rad. The problem with connecting the earth to the switch is the thickness of the earth cable - I may struggle to get it into the terminal. would trimming a few strands from the earth be acceptable or is there another option. Thanks again!

Sorry to say earth bonding means running a cable to "whatever" (radiator in your case) to the main incoming earth, NOT its spur.

However it doesn't say how it has to get there. There are a couple of options.

Take it under the floor boards and connect it just above the floor.

Go into the room behind it and come through the wall.

I can get to the rad through the wall cavity if necessary so this isn't a problem it's just the aesthetics of the whole thing. But I note on the IEE "Earthing Plastic Pipes" pdf file that they show a plastic piped bathroom layout with a link between the shower, metal light fitting and the SWITCH to a metal heater. The rad with a heating element is presumably similar to this heater in principle. The rad will be already linked to the switch by its lead although it will be a thinner earth than the direct route. If the heater "goes live" wouldn't this be enough to protect it?

yes. But because it metal it should be bonded. Better safe than sorry

Thanks a lot guys the whole picture is clearer to me now!

Glyn1959 said:
I want to install a chrome radiator in a bathroom. I currently have a radiator as part of my gas central heating system. I have seen a model (£85) which it says is suitable for both hot water central heating systems and electrical systems ..............................

:?: Hi Glyn ,

I'm looking for a SS towel rails with the same possibilities - could you let me know the name , address , tel number of the supplier you found.
Thanks

Homebase do Stainless Steel rads that I think you can add an element to. The finish is not as bright as chrome though - see B&Q for these. Otherwise try looking on Google as there are loads of suppliers depending on what you want to spend.

Hi MikeH, Ant has answered your question. B&Q have a great selection of both flat and curved at many different widths and sizes. It is now installed and looks really good. It gives the added benefit of never needing to remove it to either clean or paint behind!

b & q have a website, for the towel rails (some of them) see this

I am having problems wit the link, go to diy.com and search for towel rails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back