Getting some copper pipework "Chromed"

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting a electrically heated towel rail fitted in the bathroom and I really wanted to cover the cable with some kind of cable cover for neatness. I have managed to find the type of thing I am after as per the link:

http://www.tradeplumbing.co.uk/Cher...Towel-Rail-1-1500mm-H-x-450mm-W_p_0-2401.html

Problem I have is that the above element covers are specific to the radiators being sold and the supplier will not sell them separalty.

I was therefore thinking of making something similar using copper pipe and then sending it away to be chromed.

Does anyone know if I can get copper chromed or know of any chroming services ?

Sponsored Links
Here or any plumbing merchants will sell you one length or some diy superstores will have them

bending up a straight piece of chromed pipe will unfortunately peel the chroming away.

chrome on copper is ok (most classic car radiator grilles and bumpers are steel which is then copper plated and then chromed) but check with the plateworks that they can chrome over solder or whether you need to braize the joints instead.
plateworks are best found in yellow pages - you can save £££ by doing the prep work and polishing yourself as this takes the mantime.

there are small diy chroming kits out there that run off of car batteries - check ebay or the classic car magazines.

looks like you need a curved piece - what about an old set of chromed drop handle bars from a racing bike as the donor for the elbow ?

Sponsored Links
You can also buy stainless steel pipe, which is quite expensive, and is difficult to cut as it is a lot harder than copper, but you won't be doing much of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back