Installing a elec shower, query about the earth.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Okay, we bought a new power shower to replace our old one and there is a seperate 4mm earth running along side the 6mmT+E. Thing is the single earth isn't long enough to reach the terminals. We were going to join another bit of cable on the end using a terminal block so it will reach.

My question is, does it matter the size of the earth, as in can it be any size as long as it is thicker than 4mm? I can join some 6mm cable on the end, but we have no 4mm.

Sponsored Links
The separate earth is likely to be for 'olde' supplementary bonding.

If the shower circuit is rcd controlled and the house gas / water bonding been done in 10mm earth you have no need for the cable to be reconnected.

I take it the 6mm cable has an earth + LN cores.

If the shower circuit is rcd controlled and the house gas / water bonding been done in 10mm earth you have no need for the cable to be reconnected.

Yea, 6mm T+E. It's allwired and piped in now and works as it should ;D Thanks guys.

Also, I connected both that single earth aswell as the earth in the T+E cable to the shower, no harm can be done...right? :p

Thanks. ^_^

Sponsored Links

Chri5 . The Supp Bonding will still need to be connected unless ALL the circuits in the bathroom are RCD connected------not just the Shower.

spark 1

You must also confirm that all extraneous conductive parts in the bathroom are effectively connected to the protective equipotential bonding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back