Earth Bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I asked this question in plumbing section but was told its one for the sparks!

Just finished putting in pipework for new shower, need to "earth bond" it all, have bought a load of the special pipe clamps from screwfix, and have bought 6mm earth cabling, is this diameter cable right for earthing the pipes?

Read somewhere that 6mm is the right size to use, but have just been on a website that recommended 4mm, so I am a little stuck!

Wanted to double check before I started!

Sponsored Links
supplementary bonding - 4mm but if you've got 6mm no harm.
Main bonding should be 10mm and main earthing should be 16mm. This is dependant upon the supply, which you have not furnished us with details of.
Personally I wouldn't fitb anything less as if the supply is upgraded in the future it will comply.

Bathrooms now require 'ZONE bonding' which is a cable that links all pipework and electrical circuits together the size of which is 4mm (unprotected) or 2.5mm (if protected by conduit or other means)

This earth cable (green/yellow) has to link to ONLY 1 point of each circuit and all the pipework i.e from the light, the shaver point,the pullcord OR the fan (if you have one) links to the shower OR shower pullcord which links to the cold pipe - hot pipe - heating pipes

You can also use the pipework as part of the circuit

If you mean by "supply" where the pipes are coming from that supply the shower, its a mixer shower, so cold water comes from new pipe work from cold tank in attic and hot comes from new pipe work from hot water tank in airing cupboard, so I assumed this would all be supplementary bonding, yes?

I can see where the rising main is bonded to the existing pipework in the airing cupboard so I was going clean the paint off the existing pipework and make the bonding connection off one of this onto the new pipework, using the 6mm.

Sorry in advance if I have miss understood!

Sponsored Links
moby_wan said:
If you mean by "supply" where the pipes are coming from that supply the shower, its a mixer shower, so cold water comes from new pipe work from cold tank in attic and hot comes from new pipe work from hot water tank in airing cupboard, so I assumed this would all be supplementary bonding, yes?

I can see where the rising main is bonded to the existing pipework in the airing cupboard so I was going clean the paint off the existing pipework and make the bonding connection off one of this onto the new pipework, using the 6mm.

Sorry in advance if I have miss understood!

Yes you have misunderstood. Supply refers to electrical supply in an electrical forum and the size of the conductors feeding the installation, govern the size of the bonding conductors.
Also you need to understand the TYPE of supply, TNS, TNC-S, TT etc. To understand this see the reference section.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back