Earthing/ bonding queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Now then lads and lasses:
I've been checking out my home earthing arrangement of late and would like you to clarify if I've spotted something amiss or not.
It's a TNS system with a 60A main fuse with one 6mm cable going to the consumer side of the mains stop tap and one 6mm going to the cold water tap in the bathroom. Now, there was no supplementary bonding on the hot water taps (actually there was one hanging loose under the bath where the plumber 'forgot' to re-connect after a new suite was fitted last year!!) or the CH system. So, I've re-connected the hot water clamp and fitted a 6mm from this clamp to the radiator pipes and either side of the boiler in the airing cupboard.
So....
There is an electric shower over the (fibreglass) bath but I can see no evidence of direct bonding between the pipework in the bathroom and the shower. I know the shower will be earthed via the T&E cable and the 6mm cable goes from the cold water tap pipe straight back the same CU earth clamp but is this enough?
Also, although there's a earth from the CU to the water mains, there isn't one going to the gas supply right next to it. They are both located under the sink in the kitchen, so question is although I know kitchen bonding is not a specific requirement, because the steel sink is within inches of both the gas and water pipes (all copper) should I be bonding the whole lot together?
Finally, from my understanding of the regs, although the 6mm earth cable from CU to pipework is minimal, it is actually adequate. However, the main equipotential bonding conductor that's attached from the supply cable to the CU also seems to be only 6mm. From my understanding of Table 54H of the regs, I'm thinking this should actually be 10mm....or am I thinking too hard for a Monday morn and have it completely wrong?
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter,
ukants

Sponsored Links
ukants said:
Now then lads and lasses:
I've been checking out my home earthing arrangement of late and would like you to clarify if I've spotted something amiss or not.
It's a TNS system with a 60A main fuse with one 6mm cable going to the consumer side of the mains stop tap and one 6mm going to the cold water tap in the bathroom. Now, there was no supplementary bonding on the hot water taps (actually there was one hanging loose under the bath where the plumber 'forgot' to re-connect after a new suite was fitted last year!!) or the CH system. So, I've re-connected the hot water clamp and fitted a 6mm from this clamp to the radiator pipes and either side of the boiler in the airing cupboard.
So....
There is an electric shower over the (fibreglass) bath but I can see no evidence of direct bonding between the pipework in the bathroom and the shower. I know the shower will be earthed via the T&E cable and the 6mm cable goes from the cold water tap pipe straight back the same CU earth clamp but is this enough?
Also, although there's a earth from the CU to the water mains, there isn't one going to the gas supply right next to it. They are both located under the sink in the kitchen, so question is although I know kitchen bonding is not a specific requirement, because the steel sink is within inches of both the gas and water pipes (all copper) should I be bonding the whole lot together?
Finally, from my understanding of the regs, although the 6mm earth cable from CU to pipework is minimal, it is actually adequate. However, the main equipotential bonding conductor that's attached from the supply cable to the CU also seems to be only 6mm. From my understanding of Table 54H of the regs, I'm thinking this should actually be 10mm....or am I thinking too hard for a Monday morn and have it completely wrong?
Thanks for your thoughts on the matter,
ukants

No, 10 mm is not adequate upgrade it to 16mm and the Main EQ bonding to 10mm[/b]

"No, 10 mm is not adequate upgrade it to 16mm and the Main EQ bonding to 10mm"..........I originally thought this after reading up in the on-site guide but 547-02-01 of the regs says "...a main equipotential bonding conductor shall have a cross-sectional area not less than half the cross-sectional area required for the earthing conductor of the installation and not less than 6mm squared."
So if 6mm is adequate on some installations, why is it not on mine?

Sponsored Links
ukants said:
So if 6mm is adequate on some installations, why is it not on mine?

because TN(c)S has a lower ELI than TT and there can be a lot higher current flowing, so 6mm isnt adequate if there is a dead short near the service head

Easy rule of thumb is to future proof the installation.
16mm for main earthing conductor, 10mm for Main EQ bonding and 4mm for supp bonding.
TT is ok to have Main EQ bonding @ 6mm but installing 10mm will ensure that if its upgraded from TT no additional work will be needed.

Thanks, I appreciate your input on this, folks. Any thoughts on my shower and kitchen situations?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back