Installing a mains supplied Door Bell

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone advise how I can feed power to a main's powered door bell please? I need to install one in a place I'm renovating and all carpets are stripped out and walls will get plastered afterwards so I can channel into the walls if needed. I assume there will be a step down transformer that will need to take it's feed from a permanent live before it connects to the bell unit, but where do I take that from? I don't want to the CU route as I haven't worked with one before.

Sponsored Links
You need a line and neutral from a lighting circuit (must be a permanent line not a switched one!) or alternatively fuse down from a socket outlet circuit using a FCU (fused connection unit)

A FCU is a good idea for the lighting circuit also.

The cu is generally the best way to get a feed for the bell transformer.

Reason being you can 'hide' the transformer, as generally most consumer units are usually hidden away.

It sounds like some refurbishment is being done, so I imagine it would make sense to hide the transformer.

Bell transformers can have their own MCB/fuse within the cu.
Or they can be tagged into a lighting circuit.
As said before, it is a good idea to fit it's own switch, in case the bell push gets jammed it will save the transformer or bell getting knackered.

If you are not confident to connect into the cu, perhaps there is a light in a cupboard where you can obtain a neutral and permanent live from.

I need to install one in a place I'm renovating ... I assume there will be ... where do I take that from? I don't want to the CU route as I haven't worked with one before.
Why not have the knowledgeable and skilled person who is undertaking all of the other electrical work for the renovation do the bell?

Sponsored Links
I need to install one in a place I'm renovating ... I assume there will be ... where do I take that from? I don't want to the CU route as I haven't worked with one before.
Why not have the knowledgeable and skilled person who is undertaking all of the other electrical work for the renovation do the bell?

Because he's being paid someone else to carry out the other jobs to a fixed price and not willing to take on any more jobs within that quote. That would leave me to fit the bell, so would it be safe to simply take a feed from a lighting circuit that is permanently live and locate the transformer somewhere out of sight? The CU is being relocated from an outside cupboard which houses the hot water tank to a wall high up in the downstairs toilet next to the front door if that helps?

The CU is being relocated from an outside cupboard which houses the hot water tank to a wall high up in the downstairs toilet next to the front door if that helps?

Why don't you fit the transformer here, and leave a tail of cable for the electrician to fit when he moves the cu?

You could always tape a fiver to the cable.

[quote="sparkwright";p="1729665
You could always tape a fiver to the cable.[/quote]

Good idea! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back