Installing a manhole....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to put a toilet upstairs in a victorian cottage, this will involve breaking into the sewer running underground along the side of the house (not shared). I will fit a preformed inspection chamber and then connect into that with a new soil stack..................will the council want to know about this? and if they do, what exactly will they want to know?

Sponsored Links
I have just done one for a customer recently and I built inspection out of brick.
Brought new sewer pipe across original pipe at about 45 degrees, marked off a rectangle on top of old pipe where new soil will join in (not join but rest over and "plop" waste at an angle into the main stream). Then cut new sewer section at an angle before concrete and brick inspection chamber is made.
Will try to add pictures! :)

Blimey Mike...............that sounds a lot of work, why didn't you cut n bung in a little round plastic preformed mini manhole in?

Sponsored Links
I believe such work should be notified to building control and will require testing.

Trust engineering bricks were used! 'Normal' bricks are not suitable for manhole construction. Council will need to inspect the work prior to the excavation being backfilled usually.

You will need to submit a building notice (simple short form) to the council and pay them about £180.

Then you book a 'commencement of works' visit and a nice man will come round and discuss your plans and make any suggestions needed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back