Installing a new/additional meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We live in Scotland and our electric is supplied by SSE. We have THTC tariff which is common in remote areas. Essentially we have two meters, a bit like Economy 7, but instead of cheap overnight electric we get cheap rate for certain ‘heating’ items eg storage heaters/immersion heater/electric shower, and all other appliances use standard energy. We have a separate cottage a few yards away which takes electric from our standard (higher cost) meter.
When we first moved here this was not too much of an issue as the property was not fully occupied and electric prices were lower. Prices have since sky rocketed and also my elderly mother now lives in the cottage and we are incurring very high costs particularly for heating.
I have asked our supplier if they can split the supply before our 2 meters and fit a separate meter for my Mum's cottage so that we can have her on a cheaper tariff.
We have been told we need to dig a trench from the nearest pole (approx 20yds away as the crow flies in our neighbour's garden) as apparently they no longer do what they refer to as looped supplies - neither will they do an overhead connection from the same pole even though there are already overhead cables over the access road so height is not an issue.
Apart from the costs of digging a trench, there are underground drains and other problems because of ground conditions - we cannot simply take a direct route from the pole to the cottage.
I'd be grateful for any comments and advice, are looped supplies and/or overhead connections no longer considered safe? Is there any organisation/body I can appeal to for a second opinion or to make an exception, after all there will be no changes to the amount of electricity being used. Both had their wiring/consumer units updated around 10 years ago.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Why not take a second cable from the main house to the cottage from the cheap rate consumer unit ? If i understand your post the cottage is metered in your main house?

Regards,

DS

Why not take a second cable from the main house to the cottage from the cheap rate consumer unit ? If i understand your post the cottage is metered in your main house?

Regards,

DS
This would be possible, and something we could get done easily, though I don't think the SSE would like it if they found out we were using their 'cheap rate meter' for standard energy use.

Sponsored Links
Hi, sorry the second supply would be to supply the heating, replicating what you have in the main house.

Regards,

DS

I don't think the SSE would like it if they found out we were using their 'cheap rate meter' for standard energy use.
Surely the point would be to use the second cable for the cottage heating, and the existing cable for the other electrical items?

Surely the point would be to use the second cable for the cottage heating, and the existing cable for the other electrical items?
Sorry, I read too fast and misunderstood, I thought you were suggesting running the whole house on the 'cheap rate'. To use THTC in the cottage we'd have to install storage heaters and then re-wire all the cottage electrics to the relevant meters. The other issue with sticking with THTC is that we cannot change suppliers - no one else will accept the THTC two meter system, so the other benefit of a single meter for the cottage was to give flexibility so we could shop around as prices changed.

If you want a new supplier for the cottage then you'll need a new connection from the DNO.

Much easier would be to take the house off THTC completely and use an Eco 7 tariff, then all the night time electricity will be at cheap rate. You could use the existing cable to supply storage heaters in the cottage (if adequately rated for the load - it may well not be) with a separate timeswitch/contactor in the cottage.

You'd save a separate standing charge, and because there's competition in E7 tariffs you are quite likely to save money compared to THTC.

If you want a new supplier for the cottage then you'll need a new connection from the DNO.

Much easier would be to take the house off THTC completely and use an Eco 7 tariff, then all the night time electricity will be at cheap rate. You could use the existing cable to supply storage heaters in the cottage (if adequately rated for the load - it may well not be) with a separate timeswitch/contactor in the cottage.

You'd save a separate standing charge, and because there's competition in E7 tariffs you are quite likely to save money compared to THTC.
It's certainly a possibility which I hadn't considered as it would require some major rewiring in both properties, even if the cottage cable was adequately rated (which I think it is). Something else to think about, thank you.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back