Installing a new bath questions and drain valve types

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello i have a few qestions that I hope may be answered if anyone can help?

number 1: i am to install a new bathroom suite this weekend in our bathroom on the first floor. i have undertaken plumbing work before, but never a bath install. after reading various info on bath installs i am wanting to ask a few questions to clarify a few things if i may?

is it ok to have 2 planks of wood underneath the front and back feet (2 planks in total, i for back feet and 1 for front), then adjust the feet to level out? do i need to make a whole cradle from wood for the bath, to install the bath panel? also i will need to secure the bath to the wall at 1 side to secure it, is this easily done?

the bath is acrylic and therefore i want to make sure it doesn't a) come through the ceiling when filled) and b) doesn't wobble when sat it and stood in!

is it ok to use flexible tap connectors, (3/4 inch) for a bath: will this make it longer to fill?

any valuable help would be so much appreciated.

my 2nd point is: are there 2 different types of drain valves? if so what is the difference ? i have heard there is and i am thinking of installing a new drain valve at a later date downstairs in our conservatory for our central heating system.

thank you for reading my post.

Sponsored Links
is it ok to have 2 planks of wood underneath the front and back feet (2 planks in total, i for back feet and 1 for front), then adjust the feet to level out? do i need to make a whole cradle from wood for the bath, to install the bath panel? also i will need to secure the bath to the wall at 1 side to secure it, is this easily done?
yes, yes, no, yes (grip fil for a bodge or screw a batten to wall to clamp it back)

the bath is acrylic and therefore i want to make sure it doesn't a) come through the ceiling when filled) and b) doesn't wobble when sat it and stood in!

are you 20 stone? if not above answer will do

is it ok to use flexible tap connectors, (3/4 inch) for a bath: will this make it longer to fill?

they will do the job

my 2nd point is: are there 2 different types of drain valves? if so what is the difference ? i have heard there is and i am thinking of installing a new drain valve at a later date downstairs in our conservatory for our central heating system.

yes, glanded and un- glanded but doesnt really matter

thank you for reading my post.

my pleasure

I've always found the easiest and most secure way of fixing a bath is to work out the level you want it to sit at. Then mark the height of the bottom of the timber under the rim. Fit a batten to the walls at this height. Put the bath onto this batten and check it's okay. If it's okay remove and apply silicone or gripfill to the batten. Drop the bath on, lower the legs to the floor and screw down.

I'm not a fan of flexis but if you use them get good quality.

Sponsored Links
The difference between glanded and unglanded drain valves is about 20 Pence.

Both will do the job. An unglanded valve is slightly smaller, but when you open it, more water (+ mud, sludge, inhibitor etc. etc.) escapes from around the threads and makes it's way up your sleeve and across the floor than runs out of the hose outlet.

A glanded valve should stop most of it.

Some flexis are larger bore than others. I would try to avoid using any flexis on gravity supplies, where any restrictions have more effect than on mains pressure supplies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back